• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Console Resident Evil 4

Plane N SIM Pill

Bluelighter
So I have seen people on forums and YouTube saying that RE4 "doesn't need stealth mechanics" because the original (2005) release was primarily a shooter. While I generally agree, I also don't know what to say, because RE4 was never really a game I looked upon all that favourably anyway.

Basically, RE4 slaughtered everything that was good about RE games of the past. Essentially everything Capcom had put out up to the end of the PS2 era. To me, that's what defined the series overall. Period.

But RE4? My goodness. People just sing the praises of this title like it's nobody's business. The game had absolutely bugger all to do with Umbrella, zombies, Raccoon City and all that jazz. It was about you killing a lot of Spanish speaking villagers in Europe infected with parasites. Then they had these mutations you had to fight, and they didn't look indicative of RE style enemies any longer.

The adventure was a doddle to survive. All you had to do was mash buttons, and shoot everything. Sometimes, you had to outrun boulders or jump over platforms. For literally hours upon hours. Even people carrying farm tools without having any guns had the ability to drop ammo. It was also full of ridiculous mini bosses, like this little dude in a castle who has these two bug like bodyguards wearing suits, and they chase you around. It looked dumb, and nothing like old RE games.

It was a great game for what it was, sure. But it certainly wasn't much of a survival horror game. Put it that way.

But yeah. The remake looks great. One thing I have to squawk on about a bit is the RE Engine having these black spots where you can barely see anything. Old RE games had better lighting, yet some of those games are now well over 20 years old, to be honest.

LMAO. It's hilarious. :)

So I have seen people on forums and YouTube saying that RE4 "doesn't need stealth mechanics" because the original (2005) release was primarily a shooter. While I generally agree, I also don't know what to say, because RE4 was never really a game I looked upon all that favourably anyway.

Basically, RE4 slaughtered everything that was good about RE games of the past. Essentially everything Capcom had put out up to the end of the PS2 era. To me, that's what defined the series overall. Period.

But RE4? My goodness. People just sing the praises of this title like it's nobody's business. The game had absolutely bugger all to do with Umbrella, zombies, Raccoon City and all that jazz. It was about you killing a lot of Spanish speaking villagers in Europe infected with parasites. Then they had these mutations you had to fight, and they didn't look indicative of RE style enemies any longer.

The adventure was a doddle to survive. All you had to do was mash buttons, and shoot everything. Sometimes, you had to outrun boulders or jump over platforms. For literally hours upon hours. Even people carrying farm tools without having any guns had the ability to drop ammo. It was also full of ridiculous mini bosses, like this little dude in a castle who has these two bug like bodyguards wearing suits, and they chase you around. It looked dumb, and nothing like old RE games.

It was a great game for what it was, sure. But it certainly wasn't much of a survival horror game. Put it that way.

But yeah. The remake looks great. One thing I have to squawk on about a bit is the RE Engine having these black spots where you can barely see anything. Old RE games had better lighting, yet some of those games are now well over 20 years old, to be honest.

LMAO. It's hilarious. :)
Yup totally agree. It had quite good gameplay and graphics for the time but no fucking zombies/lickers!?!? What the fuck...
The PS4 remake of re1&2 are class though.
Fucking villagers....

That's because Umbrella made the viruses that caused the zombies and the other creatures to happen. Their goal was to create a super soldier called a Tyrant or something, then I believe their objective was to make more and send them out. So the zombies are basically the rejected subjects.

Nonetheless, they basically formed the nucleus of the series. For when people saw that there was zombies, they knew it was the newest RE something. You know? It was what gave RE the things it became renowned for.

It's like Alien. Imagine if it wasn't concerning the Xenomorphs or even Ellen Ripley's ordeal any more, and something else entirely was connected to the lore. That is kind of what it felt like once RE changed. It carried the name thereafter, but not the DNA it began. But people only like 4 onwards because they are tremendously addictive as shooting games, where you get to unleash as much ammo as you can muster up. That's where the appeal lay with RE4. It wasn't really because it was trying to terrify you, the player. Even so, it was still pretty intense in some sections, mostly whenever the chainsaw people appeared.

RE8 explains that a woman named Miranda knew of a mould that could potentially bring back her daughter who died from a flu outbreak, so her student Spencer was inspired to research his own work, so he made Umbrella as a front for all of this.

It was kind of a stupid game. There was a tall woman in it who was kind of like a vampire, and she lived in a castle with her three daughters, who were able to turn into insects. It didn't feel like RE whatsoever. Then there was other lords in the various regions you went to in this country, and one had you exploring a house where a giant baby crawls after you. Then you end up in a factory where the guy operating it turns people into cyborgs. When it's finally time to face him, he morphs into some ridiculous machine and has a magnetic ability. It just looked totally dumb.

Then Chris the main character is in all of this meanwhile, essentially as a side character.

They keep on changing how he looks and sounds. He's honestly a cash grab character now, where it's like if they didn't include a main character to appeal to fans, nobody would care.

I dont care if it is a remake I wanna play RE4 on PC.
At least I know who and what I have to look out for. ;)
Villagers...
Village People Dancing GIF by Saturday Night Live

By the way...

RE5 and 4 have the exact same enemies. The only difference is, the ones in 5 are in Africa. That is the only difference. All the other things are the same too. The chainsaw people are a different race, but they're still the f***ing same overrated enemy you fought in 4.

There's even the same El Gigante ogres. But they do the same exact attacks as well.

Yet, fans always hate on RE5. And 6? Well, that's simply... GARBAGE! :p

Also, Chris > Leon.

I didn't get into the RE franchise the first time around. Nothing against it, but didn't get around to it.

I'm likely going to get the new PC version of RE4 when it releases and find out for myself.

Just working my way through Dead Space, which another one I missed first time around.

I didn't get into the RE franchise the first time around. Nothing against it, but didn't get around to it.

I'm likely going to get the new PC version of RE4 when it releases and find out for myself.

Just working my way through Dead Space, which another one I missed first time around.
Nooooooo man! RE4 doesn't have zombies! If you're gonna get a remake get RE2! That's the best of the franchise IMO.

Well, I never got into Dead Space. I played pretty much every other horror franchise with at least four entries.

I also didn't get into Fatal Frame. Just something about it bored me. Walking around, backtracking for ages. Snapping up ghosts.

My sister is more into Japanese stuff than I am, so I think she enjoyed them.

Any franchise that has been around for decades will eventually dissolve into mediocrity. Essentially, I think that's what happens when they start to milk something too much. They know people get excited all the same.

It's like if you played something when you were young, it lingers on in your head as a good memory, so you feel like you want to revisit it. Then it's not the same. Different people are behind the new games, and so on. We also live in the woke era where politics are beginning to dictate how our games turn out. Now any race can be a character, which goes against what the character was supposed to represent.

I think the new Silent Hill games may be good. But of course, a lot of these showcases never have any gameplay shown off. It's always just developers saying how happy they are, the spirit of the original is intact, yada yada.

Resident Evil 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. When it came out I was a kid, and if I'd been playing it late at night I used to have to take it outta my playstation and put it an the bottom of my pile of PS1 games. You know, just so it couldn't get me in the night...

Re4 might be my fave game of all time. Bought it at 15. Getting a New gaming pc in some days so Will spend hundreds of hours on this if it Turns as good preferably better than 8.

It's out this Friday. Some people on YouTube claim they got it early.

Well, I know Michael Does Life got it the other week there, so he played it for us and announced what was cut, and what remained in the game.

Check out his community tab. He listed a bunch of stuff that Capcom couldn't be arsed putting in the remake. Although since the remakes of RE2 and 3 suffered a similar fate, you probably shouldn't seem all that surprised.