• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Rikodiene shortage

From what I understand, Rikodine is only approved for supply until 31 July 2023, which is coming up soon. My best guess, they have rolled back production on Rikodine until they know for a fact they are going to be re-approved for supply.

Its not really a good business move to manufacture 10's of thousands of bottles if there isn't a guarantee you will be allowed to sell them. DHC wasn't affected by the codeine up scheduling, so there isn't really a reason I can think of as to why It might not be re approved for supply, however given the recent attention it's been receiving in the media, I wouldn't be surprised if Rikodine was on the way out.
Thank you for the info! I thought the 31 July 2023 deadline was only for bottles that were incorrectly labelled - ie, there are some batches that show the sorbitol levels as mg instead of g... therefore they have approval to sell the incorrectly labelled bottles to 31 July. Link here. Nonetheless, I think something is going on because a pharmacist told me last week that "it's going prescription soon". I have no idea what he meant nor did he elaborate.

Last edited:
Some stores sell it, by choice, on a prescription only basis.

For example: every online pharmacy already does this as do the most overpriced and shadiest staffed pharmacy in my town (I know a staff member who bulk buys the bottle for resale - at least she did before the shortage, now I don't know).

I can find no source for any application to reschedule Rikodeine. I've looked somewhat thoroughly.

Been able to find Riko in Sydney & Melbourne - luck I guess? Some have said they don’t have it, but only a couple.

Does anyone know how the database works? Is it state based or national? Basically how long can I get away with asking for it until they flag me/notice a pattern of useage?

Interesting.
I purchased it from a pharmacy as a cough suppressant. Didn’t ask for it by name but was offered it as an option.

Worked well… but I had an allergic reaction to it. Hives all over my legs and arms. Cleared up as soon as I stopped the rikodeine.

I’ve never had an allergic reaction to opioids… I wonder if it’s to the strawberry colour or flavour.

i thought i read about it being scheduled as S3 meaning pharmacist only, though it is true most online pharmacies have it listed as prescription only, including the major chains

Been able to find Riko in Sydney & Melbourne - luck I guess? Some have said they don’t have it, but only a couple.

Does anyone know how the database works? Is it state based or national? Basically how long can I get away with asking for it until they flag me/notice a pattern of useage?
I too would like to know a bit about this if anyone has any links or info?

Interesting.
I purchased it from a pharmacy as a cough suppressant. Didn’t ask for it by name but was offered it as an option.

Worked well… but I had an allergic reaction to it. Hives all over my legs and arms. Cleared up as soon as I stopped the rikodeine.

I’ve never had an allergic reaction to opioids… I wonder if it’s to the strawberry colour or flavour.

Dihydrocodeine is OTC (pharmacist only) in Australia? I never knew this while I was there, wouldn't have wasted my time with codeine had I known that.
Dihydrocodeine is OTC (pharmacist only) in Australia? I never knew this while I was there, wouldn't have wasted my time with codeine had I known that.
Codeine is probably harder to get than riko, depending on when you were in aus

T
i am certain that the july thing is only due to a labelling error as per my post above. link to tga page on this.
that does seem to indicate you are right.
I’ve asked this before and am trying to be careful with my wording as I am not trying to circumvent the law as much as just what the restrictions are in terms of purchase?

I realise it’s up to the pharmacist but what is the purchase limit in terms of how many bottles per month or whatever the system is?

Like phenergan is pharmacist only but I don’t think it is documented in a system that is shared between pharmacies, I could be wrong though

I realise it’s up to the pharmacist but what is the purchase limit in terms of how many bottles per month or whatever the system is?

Like phenergan is pharmacist only but I don’t think it is documented in a system that is shared between pharmacies, I could be wrong though

unfortunatley, there is no simple answer to this. it all seems to depend on the pharmacist themselves, their discretion etc. i've been recognised in a short timeframe and turned away, whereas in other cases, they are ok to sell to me. it really seems to be up to each person.

as for the purchase system... i must admit i was very shocked last november: my purchase history was visible (after handing over my licence) to a pharmacist i'd never been to before and a completely different chain/company! they might be using "project stop" for riko now - i thought that was only for psuedo-eff (is that the one? sorry not sure).

unfortunatley, there is no simple answer to this. it all seems to depend on the pharmacist themselves, their discretion etc. i've been recognised in a short timeframe and turned away, whereas in other cases, they are ok to sell to me. it really seems to be up to each person.

as for the purchase system... i must admit i was very shocked last november: my purchase history was visible (after handing over my licence) to a pharmacist i'd never been to before and a completely different chain/company! they might be using "project stop" for riko now - i thought that was only for psuedo-eff (is that the one? sorry not sure).
Really?! That sucks - how did you handle that situation? I assumed that other pharmacy stores couldn’t see purchase history (potentially besides chains like chemist warehouse). Tbh the only reason I want to stock up now (in bulk) is because of all this talk about it maybe being rescheduled. I do actually genuinely find it helpful for dry coughs (which I always seem to get). If it becomes like codeine I feel like I’ll struggle to get my doctor to prescribe it.

I remember similar things when purchasing codeine OTC when it used to be available. I assumed Project Stop too. Seemed very invasive but arguing the point was futile.