• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing Salicylic Acid for Increased Potency

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
I was just reading about how various molar solutions of salicylic acid sprayed on foliage twice at different times of growth majorly increased the phenolic, flavonoid and cannabinoid content.

Has anyone here tried this? Any comments on the process? The only downside I see based on the research is that it can take out terpenes at high amounts but low amounts actually increase.

I know we got a couple growers on here that might have given this a go..

-GC

the same stuff they use in Wart removal? havent heard of this before

Me neither until today. Shocked when I found the article but upon further examination it seems salicylic acid and related compounds like methyl salicylate have a profound effect on plant hormones and found in much lower quantities in various plants for that reason.

I plan on giving this a try this summer on some plants with methyl salicylate to see if there’s any noticeable difference.

-GC

Not really. No diff.

Probably would help against disease, and maybe bug damage, but I don't think it would help much in its healthy state

It might be a good amendment for organic home made soil, as I've heard it facilitates good communication between fungus and plants

Also tried it while growing cubes years ago. Also noticed no difference

Just reread your initial post and you may have to disregard my whole comment. I was using SA in soil (either mixed in or top dressed) NOT foliar spray, so that may make a difference

Was gonna say... you may want to add it to soil, and not spray it. Do you really want to end up smoking SA?

It’s done twice, once early in the vegetative state and once right in the beginning of flowering. By the time it’s harvested I’d be very surprised if any was left. And I have no problem, you do realize Salicylic acid is a plant hormone found in most plants to varying levels already, we’re just giving it a lot more.

Methyl salicylate also has similar properties in plant growth and is a natural substance found in wintergreen and birch oils/extracts. By using this I’m not losing the organic title for the bud..

@RedRum OG I appreciate the follow up, I was gonna ask how you went about it exactly. I did read the research showing increased germination rates and overall strong seedlings with the use of methyl salicylate in the way you did. But that stage of growth has never been an issue, I never get below 95% germination rates and always have healthy seedlings so I too probably wouldn’t have been able to see a difference even if it did help.

Well if I do try this at all in the coming year I’ll report back, I’m gonna do this one just a portion of the plants so I can hopefully get a good idea. The thought of increased flavonoid and phenolic content makes me happy with my past cancer history.

-GC

Health issues at any point in the life cycle can hurt potency, so (indirectly) SA could make weed stronger, just by making it more likely it doesn't fall short of its genetic potential. IME especially heat/light burn, nutrient burn, and infections can reduce cannabinoids and terpenes/flavors, so extra resilience could up your game for sure.

This makes a lot of sense because salicylic acid is a stress hormone in plants. Often plants increase production of secondary metabolites in response to stress.

Hard part would be dialing in dosage though. I think there would definately be a sweet spot for dosage, where you induce the desired biosynthetic genes, without driving the stress response too hard and retarding growth.

I'll do some digging in the literature today to get some more concrete numbers later.

The article I was viewing showed dose dependent increases up to 1M SA solutions having the most dramatic effect. Cannabinoids, phenols and flavonoids all increased significantly, the only thing that suffered was the terpenes which increased significantly at .01M but dropped hard thereafter.

-GC

Last edited:
ok so this topic has me intrigued, especially as im someone who has had a keen interest in how cannabis plants grow shall we say, so i did some searching on another forums that is devoted purely to cannabis and yes its being done over there and its actually being said that its basically like Aspirin for your plant and also that its very similiar to salicin which is found in willow bark which you can make a throat gargle that will eliminate sore throats and relieve cold symptoms (as mentioned in SAS survival book)
however there isnt much info on it there and literally only a few threads and they are very old too

This reminds me of people saying growing Chamomile alongside cannabis helps to improve its overall quality and therefore yield, camomile is known as the 'plant dr' as it appears to improve the health of nearby plants

Seriously? 🤔

My second go around with the foot doctor with the same one, this time I let her carve it up a little and I’ve been doing it twice a day with 10% acid and I think it’s working, we shall see…
ye i tried it a few times and also tried the one in a can to no avail

I had about 7 , 3 were like cauliflowers on the fingers of one hand. it looked fucking awful lol and id had them for about 3 years
1 did actually shrink and almost disappear with application of qwiso cannabis oil but i noticed after 2 months they all were gone with very little scarring or markiing of taking A-Z multivitamins

ye i tried it a few times and also tried the one in a can to no avail

I had about 7 , 3 were like cauliflowers on the fingers of one hand. it looked fucking awful lol and id had them for about 3 years
1 did actually shrink and almost disappear with application of qwiso cannabis oil but i noticed after 2 months they all were gone with very little scarring or markiing of taking A-Z multivitamins
Normally I just keep carving them up with a scalpel blade till they go away ,finger ones I always found easier to get rid of then the ones on the feet ( cause they easier to work on) ,it’s my first time trying acid.

I can try the vitamins too ,It can’t hurt any….

Normally I just keep carving them up with a scalpel blade till they go away ,finger ones I always found easier to get rid of then the ones on the feet ( cause they easier to work on) ,it’s my first time trying acid.

I can try the vitamins too ,It can’t hurt any….
My wife sprayed all the flowers and plants with lemon acid water(in the winter) and obviously they felt wonderful

willow bark....it's a natural rooting hormone....some nature-boy growers like to use it for making clones

ive rooted clones with no issues using nothing but water

but i like to use Dip n Grow these days for my clones....clonex is garbage

anyway - it's a PGR - im a big fan of cold-pressed Ecklonia Kelp from S. Africa for hormones - that's it for me....it does the same thing

willow bark....it's a natural rooting hormone....some nature-boy growers like to use it for making clones

ive rooted clones with no issues using nothing but water

but i like to use Dip n Grow these days for my clones....clonex is garbage

anyway - it's a PGR - im a big fan of cold-pressed Ecklonia Kelp from S. Africa for hormones - that's it for me....it does the same thing

After quick reading it seems all the hubbub surrounding PGR weed has to do with the synthetic chemicals right? I might try the kelp too.

I’m just getting back into growing after a long hiatus, but now that it’s legal I feel it’s worth the risk again. I grew both indoor and outdoor for about 7-8yrs until I stopped though.

If you don’t mind, how/when do you use the kelp?

-GC

After quick reading it seems all the hubbub surrounding PGR weed has to do with the synthetic chemicals right? I might try the kelp too.

I’m just getting back into growing after a long hiatus, but now that it’s legal I feel it’s worth the risk again. I grew both indoor and outdoor for about 7-8yrs until I stopped though.

If you don’t mind, how/when do you use the kelp?

-GC

Right - there's good and bad PGR's --- alfalfa is another PGR but all-natural so it's a good one

i use it all throughout veg to the end of week 5 in flower... 5 ml/gal and then once they hit flower, i go up to 10 ml/gal

i normally use this one but it's sold out at the moment ----> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VVG7FRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but this one i like too when i cant get that ----> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZNW5CK/ref=twister_B073ZMV1MD?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

32.99 for a gallon is a good price....and it's cold-pressed....i don't like the black stuff that's been heated

the other one i like is this ----> https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydr...d=1643137565&sprefix=bio+weed+,aps,161&sr=8-5

but for whatever reason, they're raping ppl with that price on amazon