Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Salvia Cafe Opens in Canada

Ham-milton

Bluelighter
Salvia-tion comes to Mont-Royal
New salvia café offers the Plateau another psychoactive refuge
By Tristin Hopper
It only took one month for Matthew Lipscomb to transform his small Internet café in the Plateau into Les Mentheurs, a new one-of-a-kind Montreal shisha café. Visitors remove their shoes at the door and don special slippers. Moving further into the dim lights and shisha smoke of Les Mentheurs, they discover deep couches, lulling world music and a mysterious, Middle-Eastern-esque décor. Bound to be the café’s signature attribute, however, is its exclusive offering of two legal hallucinogens.

For under $20, patrons can smoke a shisha pipe laced with salvia, a mint-like plant known for its intense hallucinogenic powers. Or they may elect to drink a special tea mixed with kratom leaves, a Southeast Asian tree with psychoactive effects.

As far as Lipscomb knows, he is the only café offering either salvia or kratom in Montreal, although it is sold as incense at some hemp stores.

“That’s irresponsible, because it’s obvious that people aren’t buying it as incense,” said Lipscomb. “[Salvia] is really not a toy, it’s not a recreational drug.” He adds that he intended Les Mentheurs to be a safe place where patrons could enjoy manageable doses. “I don’t want people feeling like they’re dripping into the floor,” he said. For control purposes, Lipscomb does not allow his employees to serve the drug, a responsibility he reserves for himself. As well, Lipscomb always insists on having a sitter available to keep watch over a patron using salvia.

“It’s an intense feeling, very hard to describe,” James Newhouse, a Montreal musician and friend of Lipscomb, assured The Link. He said that salvia does not elicit cravings or bring about “downs” afterwards.

Salvia is legal in Canada, although reps from Health Canada and the RCMP have both said that they are keeping a close eye on the legal sales.

“I suppose I’m sort of pushing my luck,” said Lipscomb, but affirms that he’s not selling the drugs for any political reasons. “I don’t want to lose my house or go to court over this.”

Of course, legal drugs are not the only selling point of Les Mentheurs: Lipscomb intends to fashion the café as a unique music venue. Lipscomb, who is also a musician, said he intends to host only intimate, acoustic sets.

Near the end of the evening, a group of students from the Université du Québec à Montréal and CÉGEP St-Laurent have just finished a round of kratom tea in the corner. Lazily propped up on pillows surrounding a low table, one of them offers the critique: “it’s like something between shrooms and marijuana.”

Les Mentheurs is looking for local art to display. For details, call 812-2335 or drop by Les Mentheurs at 163 Mont-Royal E.

There's a link to the article in DC. It's an interesting read. They sell shisha, kratom and salvia? Quite interesting.

I've already contacted them to let them know that kratom is not a hallucinogen.

lol...those Canadians, you gotta love 'em. Always doing the damndest things...

panic_the_digital said:
Interesting. I wonder how long this will last...
There are places where you can smoke marijuana in Toronto, which actually is illegal.

Please include the link in this thread as well, ham.

Funny how you can always tell when a non-drug user writes an article. The pipe is "laced" with salvia? WTF did they do, mix salvia into the glass while it was molten?

I didn't think hookahs were an effective way to consume salvia anyway.

Jesus that will be a crazy place people on salvia are a lil less then rational

Ham-milton you got a linkage for this article ? Seems a bit odd...

Ham-milton said:
...I've already contacted them to let them know that kratom is not a hallucinogen.
Anything they can't pronounce is an hallucinogen, which they can't pronounce either... ;)

^I didn't catch that they said it was a hallucinogen. It merely says it has 'psychoactive effects'. Which is true. Although I have to agree from the general tone of the article you could tell they weren't all too educated on the subject. And the fucked up shit was how they quoted that kid who said kratom was similar to shrooms and weed? WTF? More than anything, its most similar to the crappier, weaker members of the opioid family. How can they justify printing such misinformation? Its unethical.

To comment on the original topic:

Worst. Idea. Thefuck. Ever.

Seriously, salvia is one fucked mother. I couldn't imagine just chillin' out in a coffe shop blowing a bowl of salvia with my boys, ya know. It's not like sitting back and chillin' on a blunt, alls good and shit with a smirk on your face. It's the exact opposite, its not a social or feelgood drug, and I think its irresponsible to convey it as such.

Oh well......8(

Roger&Me said:
^I didn't catch that they said it was a hallucinogen. It merely says it has 'psychoactive effects'. Which is true.

"...Bound to be the café’s signature attribute, however, is its exclusive offering of two legal hallucinogens."

Alright Rog, forget about salvia--better to open The Iboga Cafe complete with dartboards, spiral staircases, and Dwarf-Toss Night. :D

fun fun fun

An Iboga cafe... wow, that'd be nuts too. I'd be worried about the potential for cardiac events and the fact that it lasts for a couple days.

Yeah they sell salvia in convenience stores here (southwestern ontario)...

Not really a drug I would use in a social setting.
People will try to market anything.

What a weird cafe that must be. I can't see salvia being very good at all for a social setting. I havent tried it but from what ive heard it ain't a drug you would take in a club. kratom sounds interesting and i would love to try that. They should offer peyote there to if they could get some because thats legal in canada as well.

I wonder how long this will last under the current government we have. The conservatives arent exactly friendly to people using any mind altering substance besides good old alcohol. Id hate to see salvia made illegal in canada because of it's presence in the news and the current political climate here. It is rarely mentioned in canadian news all the same but it gets alot of bad press in the US.

Yeah they sell salvia in convenience stores here (southwestern ontario)...

To damn bad you can't buy beer in convenience stores in ontario :p . I havent seen any salvia sold in convenience stores here in newfoundland but i havent looked for it either. I doubt they do though. If they do start selling it here in stores the few fear mongering idiots here that make up bullshit about every drug they hear about will shit their pants for sure.