deficiT

Sr. Moderator: NSADD, DC, & TDS
Staff member
San Francisco Just Decriminalized Shrooms
Manisha Krishnan
VICE
7 Sep 2022

Excerpt:
San Francisco has become the latest U.S. city to decriminalize psychedelics like magic mushrooms and ayahuasca.

A resolution passed unanimously by the city’s Board of Supervisors Tuesday says arresting people for using, growing, and distributing federally banned plant-based psychedelics like shrooms, ayahuasca, and and mescaline-producing cacti (better known as peyote) shall be “the lowest law enforcement priority” and that no city resources should be used for investigations tied to the use of psychedelics. The resolution also calls for the state and federal government to decriminalize psychedelics.

The measure said psychedelics “can benefit psychological and physical wellness” and “have been shown to be beneficial” for people dealing with addiction, trauma, and anxiety.

“San Francisco joins a growing list of cities and countries that are taking a fresh look at these plant-based medicines, following science and data, and destigmatizing their use and cultivation,” said San Francisco Supervisor Dean Preston, who introduced the resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
This won't protect them from the DEA though?

Anything that's passed on a local or state level won't, yeah

On the other hand, the federal government is heavily reliant on the cooperation of state and local law enforcement to execute search warrants etc.

so the silicon valley tech bros partaking in peyote circles won't catch a charge but the homeless fent addict still might ? seems like SF has their priorities out of order, if you ask me
Federal authorities are very unlikely to have anything to do with charging people for individual possession, especially considering the existing culture of drug use in most US cities that already goes unimpeded for the most part usually. It's usually shitty local rural and suburb police and courts that crack down on minor possession.

Federal authorities are very unlikely to have anything to do with charging people for individual possession, especially considering the existing culture of drug use in most US cities that already goes unimpeded for the most part usually. It's usually shitty local rural and suburb police and courts that crack down on minor possession.
Right, and that’s why the city decriminalizing all drugs is paramount. My understanding is that possession of fent, meth, etc. is handled by local authorities (like this new tough on crime San Francisco DA).

Right, and that’s why the city decriminalizing all drugs is paramount. My understanding is that possession of fent, meth, etc. is handled by local authorities (like this new tough on crime San Francisco DA).
Oh derp, yeah idk how I missed that context but yes, you're right.

I wouldn't say that it's meaningless, necessarily...even if it doesn't deter law enforcement on the state or federal level from taking action against the trade in natural psychedelic drugs, it at least shows a significant shift in attitude on the subject of psychedelic hallucinogens.

It's easy to ridicule this as something that fits in with Bay Area sensibilities, like oh yeah lets microdose psilocybin so we can be more productive at our tech jobs, or something...hell I kind of want to do that myself lol...but psychedelic hallucinogens achieving some kind of bourgeois respectability as a fad or lifestyle choice, that's at least better than the status they used to have in this country, when they were as illegal as it gets pretty much

I've noticed that there's been a marked progressive shift on this issue and not just on the west coast either. Often times the pace of social progress outmatches changes to law...that's how it worked with cannabis reform, and I'm sure that it's how it will work with psychedelic hallucinogens too

Then it's just virtue signalling and nothing more.
No it's not. You can basically buy shrooms in DC legally due to similar legislation. Not sure if it completely compares but I'm sure they've already got something similar going in Oakland as this passed there a while ago.

Yeah I bought psilocybin at a brick and mortar store on the east coast lol

It was one of those rare "I love the future" moments

I know a guy from high school spent a few years in prison FBI knocked not so politely and found pounds and him growing was indiscreet with selling I could also go to prison for growing but it's the best way to get mushrooms it's a risk I ignore due to bullshit unscientific policy making

Again, I can just say it's ironic that the country which brought the whole world the war on drugs, Opium law and whatnot is now decriminalizing drugs. Don't get me wrong, it's an overdue move but I wish the rest of the world would participate.

I got my first police contact due to getting shrooms online from the local Sacred Mushroom Church which sent shrooms for donations. Thought it was legal. But it got me my first police contact and first (but not last) contact with cop violence. This asshole pressed my head against the table for not incriminating myself. Should lead to (don't laugh) kind of a trauma and serious cop hate. I overreacted in some cases which brought me new convictions.

I grew mushrooms. never sold them, only gave them away (really). People started getting a little bit ‘too asky’, then a few people found out and wanted ‘to buy’. stopped growing at that point, threw all my Grow equipment out and ate all of my mushrooms in a 1 month period,

But full legalization has to. Start somewhere. So, good on San Francisco.

Tom