PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives Some Ideas To Using Nitrous Safely

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Hey guys,

So I’m considering giving nitrous another real shot here soon. This past summer I had some decent times combining it with other psychedelics but only getting a couple canisters off some friends didn’t scratch the itch.

I’d like to for this coming NYE, since I don’t do it anymore as in “don’t go out anymore” I prefer to find at home recreational activities. I’ll be rolling/tripping too.

I recently saw this experience report on Erowid that seems worrying, maybe someone smarter than I can make heads and tails of it.

This person used an oximeter during a session and found shockingly low blood oxygen saturation. As low as 31% but obviously only for a seconds.

I’m wondering if it is dangerous if it only lasts for seconds instead of a longer duration. I’ll likely research that after this post.

Thinking on it more I am likely going to purchase myself an oximeter to monitor myself during a session. I am also going to get cans of pure oxygen to hit off of before and after.

My thought is maybe I can heavily saturate myself with oxygen before and after to negate this effect.

Any one have thoughts on the usefulness of an oximeter in this situation? How about inhalation of pure oxygen?

Finally, I’ve seen people use these bleed line style devices which is a hose that goes to the nitrous dispenser and has another hose that allows a certain amount of air in on each hit. If anyone is familiar, are these devices available for purchase or you think these were ghetto rigged?

-GC

Well....possibly can say,that i used nitrous safely-very rarely at a daily dose no more than 5-6 bullets(40-50g)...one balloon,then some hits from a joint.Nitrous does not affect me very strong-can walk,talk&think normally immidiately after inhaling,but prefer to chill on bed.....it's not bad occasionally to inhale,but isn't impressive also for me....good to listen music on it,'cause it happens very,very rarely to me to listen music

The only people i know who have had issues with nitrous did it to often.
B12 and folate depletion seems to be the biggest issue.
I always eat tons of meat and shellfish before and after doing nitrous.

I only do it a few times per year, usually when rigging and working at a rave with some friends.
The whole crew is usually sucking on a tank all night or even a weekend.
Last time i worked at the bar when they had a 2day festival.
My job was mostly to fill balloons of nitrous and hand them to People who had paid for one.
I kind of did the one for you one for me thingy, so i did easily 2000ballons worth of nitrous straight from the tank in 48h.

Except feeling numb for 3days and have the sensation of my cells vibrating i was fine.
Done it before and def doing it again.

But i basicly live a carnivoreish lifestyle, eat tons of meat and liver etc.
And i do it less then every 3months etc.

From my brief reading so far the only quoted time I’ve seen is takes 4mins of air cutoff for brain damage to occur. But when we look at that report we also see the writer claims to have tried holding his breath for 30secs with not much change.

I do know people that puff it like it’s nothing and don’t seem too bad off. Many of the smaller festivals it’s prevalent cuz you can casually hit it wherever you go. Even saw the nitrous mafia again after many years of no sightings this last summer.

I’ll definitely report back once I give this a try as I’m curious how the pure oxygen alters the experience in any way..

-GC

From my brief reading so far the only quoted time I’ve seen is takes 4mins of air cutoff for brain damage to occur. But when we look at that report we also see the writer claims to have tried holding his breath for 30secs with not much change.

I do know people that puff it like it’s nothing and don’t seem too bad off. Many of the smaller festivals it’s prevalent cuz you can casually hit it wherever you go. Even saw the nitrous mafia again after many years of no sightings this last summer.

I’ll definitely report back once I give this a try as I’m curious how the pure oxygen alters the experience in any way..

-GC
I find that you find a rhytm of inhaling gas and air at a good level after awhile.
The high gets better if you zip some some air in between the gas etc.
Something i get into a perfect synergy where i take some gas, some air, a puff of a joint etc.
Then refill on acid after awhile, when it gets real crazy is when bumps of ket get involved.

Hey guys,

So I’m considering giving nitrous another real shot here soon. This past summer I had some decent times combining it with other psychedelics but only getting a couple canisters off some friends didn’t scratch the itch.

I’d like to for this coming NYE, since I don’t do it anymore as in “don’t go out anymore” I prefer to find at home recreational activities. I’ll be rolling/tripping too.

I recently saw this experience report on Erowid that seems worrying, maybe someone smarter than I can make heads and tails of it.

This person used an oximeter during a session and found shockingly low blood oxygen saturation. As low as 31% but obviously only for a seconds.

I’m wondering if it is dangerous if it only lasts for seconds instead of a longer duration. I’ll likely research that after this post.

Thinking on it more I am likely going to purchase myself an oximeter to monitor myself during a session. I am also going to get cans of pure oxygen to hit off of before and after.

My thought is maybe I can heavily saturate myself with oxygen before and after to negate this effect.

Any one have thoughts on the usefulness of an oximeter in this situation? How about inhalation of pure oxygen?

Finally, I’ve seen people use these bleed line style devices which is a hose that goes to the nitrous dispenser and has another hose that allows a certain amount of air in on each hit. If anyone is familiar, are these devices available for purchase or you think these were ghetto rigged?

-GC
Just know that oximeters can be unreliable. The reading you see is a delayed reading for a start. Also there are lots of factors that affect the reading, being a smoker, how thick your skin is, the temperature of your skin… the list goes on.

So I would advise that if you’re going to use one you need to realise that whilst it may give you a ballpark number, I wouldn’t rely upon it.

I find that you find a rhytm of inhaling gas and air at a good level after awhile.
The high gets better if you zip some some air in between the gas etc.
Something i get into a perfect synergy where i take some gas, some air, a puff of a joint etc.
Then refill on acid after awhile, when it gets real crazy is when bumps of ket get involved.

My plan is we do our normal candyflip night then as things wind down bust out some racemic Ketamine, DMT and Nitrous. I feel there’s gotta be something special to be had from the K, DMT, nitrous combo if I can line it all up just right.

Just know that oximeters can be unreliable. The reading you see is a delayed reading for a start. Also there are lots of factors that affect the reading, being a smoker, how thick your skin is, the temperature of your skin… the list goes on.

So I would advise that if you’re going to use one you need to realise that whilst it may give you a ballpark number, I wouldn’t rely upon it.

This is kind of what I was wondering. Now I’m beginning to think it may cause me more anxiety staring at the numbers than is warranted.

What’s your thoughts on the transient yet seemingly extreme dip in oxygen saturation? Do you feel there’s any danger there or is longer required? Or should I just take that report with a grain of salt?

-GC

My plan is we do our normal candyflip night then as things wind down bust out some racemic Ketamine, DMT and Nitrous. I feel there’s gotta be something special to be had from the K, DMT, nitrous combo if I can line it all up just right.
That sounds like an incredible combo.
I have to give this a try one day.

What’s your thoughts on the transient yet seemingly extreme dip in oxygen saturation? Do you feel there’s any danger there or is longer required? Or should I just take that report with a grain of salt?
All I can say is that if someone’s blood ox saturation was 31% they would be near comatose.

My wife regularly administers nitrous at a hospital and if im not mistaken it's usually at a ratio of 50/50 nitrous and oxygen if I remember her correctly (we had this convo years ago).
So we treat taking nitrous like a bong rip...we like double size cartridges or 2 regular size ones. Basically, 2 regular size whippet or one double size is the maximum a regular size balloon can hold before popping...
So our method is taking as much as your lungs will hold for as long as you can (maybe 15-30 seconds) then exhale take a deep breath of oxygen then another blast of nitrous, then air til the ballroom is done....we feel this method allows sufficient oxygen to the body while still sending you to that few seconds of nitrous heaven we're aiming for.
With a double size cartridge or 2 regular with this technique I'm pretty much blasted into a place of white light and giggles with thst wonky audio distortion thsts so utterly fascinating.
I've watched other people scoff at this technique and just keep huffing the balloon who literally look like their having a mini seizure ( shaking or tremoring).
The most important thing in my opinion is to make sure your getting air in between nitrous hits and also have B12 supplements on hand .
Pretty much what Bitchnigazz said is right on point and we take B12 supplements after our nitrous session.
I can't remember the exact numbers but I did read a study about how quickly nitrous depletes B12 in the human body but it's shocking and potentially serious.

This is kind of what I was wondering. Now I’m beginning to think it may cause me more anxiety staring at the numbers than is warranted.

-GC
Lsd, K and nitrous can def be a blast.
But even with tolerance i have gotten wrecked when combining Ket with nitrous or cannabis a few times while tripping.

But its usually when ive done alot of K already and take a big hit of gas or weed.

Just do smaller bumps then usual and take less gas etc.
These combos really amplify the drugs in random ways.
What i could handlar last time could smash me the next time etc.

So usually i stick to either K or gas if im going to boost my acid.
If rather take more of one then hoping to not do to much of either when i combined them.

But i really like to do alot of nitrous when i do it.
I usually get enough to suck on balloons all night.
I bought some Mega balloons i reuse, they are really thick and can hold at least 5x more gas then a regular sized.
Then i fill them with these mini tanks that you can find online.
At those doses you dont need ket to get totally dissiod.

I take B12 supplements for a day or two after a N20 session.

As well as the risk of oxygen depletion, long term/heavy use can cause neurological damage - there's a news item about a girl in the UK who is now paralysed from the waist down because of heavy N20 use.

Apparently using filters is a good idea because there are unwanted oils/gunk in the catering cartridges that aren't supposed to go into your lungs. If I used it more frequently I would get filters. See https://bluelight.org/xf/threads/buy-a-filter-for-your-nitrous-dispensers-read-why.894235/

Personally I find whipped cream dispensers much easier to handle than balloons - you can control the rate of flow and get a decent high. That said, the head rush from nitrous is still frustratingly brief

I take B12 supplements for a day or two after a N20 session.

As well as the risk of oxygen depletion, long term/heavy use can cause neurological damage - there's a news item about a girl in the UK who is now paralysed from the waist down because of heavy N20 use.

Apparently using filters is a good idea because there are unwanted oils/gunk in the catering cartridges that aren't supposed to go into your lungs. If I used it more frequently I would get filters. See https://bluelight.org/xf/threads/buy-a-filter-for-your-nitrous-dispensers-read-why.894235/

Personally I find whipped cream dispensers much easier to handle than balloons - you can control the rate of flow and get a decent high. That said, the head rush from nitrous is still frustratingly brief
From what ive read the nerve issues is from b12/folate depletion.
If depleted enough it can cause damage to myelin sheat that protects the nerves.

So if you are a vegan you should probably not do nitrous.
And like you say, megadosing b12 and other vitamins is probably a good time idea.

Whenever I’m planning a session, I preload with 3 x 5000ug sublingual B12 (hours or even a day before), then 3 more afterwards. Huge difference, I don’t notice any after effects. Buy the biggest dosage of B12 you can find which is usually 5000ug. It’s cheap for a huge bag on typical shopping websites.

i definitely decided to start taking in more oxygen after my partner told me my lips were blue (this was the better part of a decade ago, i've learned a lot since then lol), i had somehow stupidly decided that i'd get higher if i pushed as much air out before inhaling; not true.

now (well, back when i still did it), i take some deep breaths beforehand, and in- between hits until i reach my desired state, and remind myself to start breathing regularly before i get taken over by the experience.

side note, i also began to use a kn95 between the nitrous source (in my case a balloon/ cracker) [edit] - between that and my mouth

... the nitrous oxide makes it through, and it was quite a surprise to see all the nasty metal dust and black shit left over in the mask.

Last edited:
i definitely decided to start taking in more oxygen after my partner told me my lips were blue (this was the better part of a decade ago, i've learned a lot since then lol), i had somehow stupidly decided that i'd get higher if i pushed as much air out before inhaling; not true.

now (well, back when i still did it), i take some deep breaths beforehand, and in- between hits until i reach my desired state, and remind myself to start breathing regularly before i get taken over by the experience.

side note, i also began to use a kn95 between the nitrous source (in my case a balloon/ cracker)... the nitrous oxide makes it through, and it was quite a surprise to see all the nasty metal dust and black shit left over in the mask.

is kn95 a filter?

It’s a type of mask similar to a N95. Good tip btw, I’ll be sure to do that.

-GC

oh like a Covid type mask? Probably a good idea. At one point I put cotton wool in the nozzle of the dispenser to hopefully filter out any nasties

Have you ever tried these massive chargers such as these 615g ones: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37437209...G7fEt6Ew8JCITJiXg%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

I'm tempted to try one because it seems like better value than all those tiny whippets, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to use it, since inhaling compressed gas straight from the canister is dangerous

those are fancy.

nitrous is wasteful af, if when i'm 70 i still want to do them ole whippits, maybe i'll invest in a nice big fat tank.