• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kenickie

Bluelight Crew
tumblr_miy747fnbX1rqdh12o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mgs5xbtJK31qb66x7o1_500.gif

tumblr_mgs5xbtJK31qb66x7o2_r1_500.gif

Brit (Ashley Benson), Candy (Vanessa Hudgens), Cotty (Rachel Korine) and Faith (Selena Gomez) have been best friends since grade school. They live together in a boring college dorm and are hungry for adventure. All they have to do is save enough money for spring break to get their shot at having some real fun. A serendipitous encounter with rapper "Alien" (James Franco) promises to provide the girls with all the thrill and excitement they could hope for. With the encouragement of their new friend, it soon becomes unclear how far the girls are willing to go to experience a spring break they will never forget.

Harmony Korine is going H.A.M. this time

i don't know if i'm more excited about this or Game of Thrones to be ENTIRELY honest

H.A.M.?

i'm kind of irritated that it's so big because of the attractive girls and worried it won't deliver the harmony feel i want.

Nah, saw the trailer for this. Not feelin' it. Furthermore, I'm sick of James Franco. :|

I loved Kids. I refuse to watch Gummo because someone told me cats get tortured in it. Is the scene really bad & is the cat abuse real?

^no cats harmed. actual cat corpses shown. of course the scenes are really bad.

according to IMDB, harmony korine is shooting a feature film this spring... starring selena gomez, vanessa hudgens, and james franco.
been waiting on this one for quite some time. don't think it had an announced title back when i made that post--which unfortunately sparked conversation about body pillows, not the shock casting. so happy you are excited about it as well, Kenickie. won't be waiting for the blu-ray release, and i've got my earmuffs on until i see it in theater. tumblr feed is still gonna do its best to spoil, but i know how to close my eyes.

i'm outta this thread until the 23rd (or maybe a few days after). looking forward to discussing!

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of harmony korines work this film looks more main stream so I'm curious to see how it turns out.

don't miss gummo because of an acted out cat torture scene, its brilliant! (the movie)

i can't wait for spring breakers, harmony's vision and this story will combine into pure entertainment

^no cats harmed. actual cat corpses shown. of course the scenes are really bad.

been waiting on this one for quite some time. don't think it had an announced title back when i made that post--which unfortunately sparked conversation about body pillows, not the shock casting. so happy you are excited about it as well, Kenickie. won't be waiting for the blu-ray release, and i've got my earmuffs on until i see it in theater. tumblr feed is still gonna do its best to spoil, but i know how to close my eyes.

i'm outta this thread until the 23rd (or maybe a few days after). looking forward to discussing!

tumblr savior bb, tumblr savior. black list spring breakers until you can see it.

^ It really does, just judging by the cast and trailer (and I consider myself to be a Harmony Korine fan). That said, the reviews have been mixed. Rotten Tomatoes critics has mostly criticized the film as being "too artsy", which is code for "I don't know how to watch movies and don't like feeling uncomfortable or confused". Some of the positive reviews have called it an unconventional horror film or a deconstructivist commentary on pop culture which piques my interest slightly. I'm gonna reserve judgement until I see it myself.

^^Has a 72 percent from rotten which isn't bad at all. Gummo has a 33 and all of his other movies have very low f percentages.

I actually think this looks good I was really excited to see it but when I looked at movie times i noticed it's only a limited release!!!!:!

I wonder how they decided to put gucci mane in it....lol

This is going to be one of the movies that is somewhat, but not really shocking.

I'd rather it be a luke-warm milk toast affair to be honest. Arty and uninteresting. No one dies, no gets hurt, no one loses their virginity. Just high level middle-class privileged kids spending cash on not a whole lot. The Dirtonya Beach movie that wasn't. That would be completely shocking. Just with that Diiiiirtty Korine quality we all know and love.

another movie that should be mentioned in this thread is The Bling Ring. Sophia making a movie about real girls getting into real trouble.

so i saw it last night. but that was friday; i couldn't remember anything except the opening credits--which are great. then i saw it again this morning...

it's all style. even the story is style. reminds me of Enter the Void in that sense. nothing like Gummo--with the exception of korine's wierd VHS-like signature effect. the real stars of this film are the wardrobe and costume department. i was disappointed to see sevigny isn't included in that group, but props to those who are. so fucking cool. i want to commit crime in a pink, unicorn embroidered ski mask.

franco is great in his role. gomez isn't. vanessa plays a good bad girl.

there are themes explored. violence, drug abuse, and careless sexual activity both glorified and presented as temptations. that sentence describes the film as a little more simple than it is. it successfully glorifies the images while simultaneously suggesting that those actions and wants do not lead to "real happiness." and if that even exists outside of a concept. and that maybe they can lead to happiness. "i gots Scarface on repeat!" pretty sure korine is critiquing his own desires, which he probably feels are reflective of a large portion of the human population's desires. it is mainstream for a reason. i bet it is the standard hour and half for a reason. it wants to critique pop culture through pop culture. reminds me of Le mépris in that sense. whatever, the movie is really just a series of aesthetically pleasing scenes. sexy college girls committing vicious crimes with hammers and machine guns in their short shorts, bikinis, and schoolgirl backpacks. and of course the pink ski masks. a solid soundtrack. awesome lighting. cool sets. not korine's best film. fun to watch.

harmony's vision and this story will combine into pure entertainment
exactly.

tumblr savior bb, tumblr savior. black list spring breakers until you can see it.
ooo, i was unaware of this feature. no more having to avoid the elle track tag until i can see Ginger & Rosa. can do the same for The Bling Ring. thanks! edit: ugh, it doesn't work for hash tags. still much better than nothing.

Last edited:
Hydro, I'm shocked. What? I walked out of the theatre ten minutes ago completely assured that it was the greatest American Horror film ever made. It's the best film I've seen in the past five years, if not the best movie ever. I'm going to sleep on it but it might top Wonder Boys as my favourite movie of all time. James Franco was perfect. I died inside watching him and Selena Gomez. That was worse than the violent anal rape scene in Monster for me. I could taste the bile in my mouth the whole time. I am on my phone and its fucking raining so ill post more after I sleep on it but holy shit. Holy fucking shit. Can I get a Spring Breakers/Bling Ring double feature to blow a Saturday on?

so happy you were quick to see this! i knew you would be. but in the back of my mind, i was dreading the idea that you might be busy and not get to see it for a while.

Horror film
i'm not sure i agree with this interpretation. i get where it is coming from. and glancing at other reviews online, you are not alone.

[spoil]the final hit scene is not as brutal as i would have liked. i wanted blood to spray, bits of brain and skull, bones splintering. not someone falling into a pool and some blood in the water. that said, the unwavering of their assault, then going back to kiss alien's body adds depth and ambiguity to the film.[/spoil] taking it a step above being only well styled pulp.[spoil] i think final two "chickies" do love alien/allen, and it is mutual.[/spoil] i don't think it is a horror film. at least not on all levels.

in my original post, i was close to adding a disclaimer concerning my critique of gomez and the scene you mention. that is certainly her shining moment as an actress. yes, i was crawling out of my skin--as intended. [spoil]there is always a clear predator aspect to franco's character. other aspects of his character are also always there--further exposed as the film progresses.[/spoil]

Hydro, I'm shocked. What? I walked out of the theatre ten minutes ago completely assured that it was the greatest...
4/5 stars is a fantastic movie in my book. also my scale is sliding, depending on my expectations of the writer and director. meaning this is 4/5 for a korine film, leaving general films in the dust. i'm sure we will have plenty to discuss on this one. at the moment, neither of us have more than a first impression. currently, i cannot say it competes with Kids nor Gummo.

Last edited: