• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photo Contest (VOTING CLOSED) Round 414: Water

Please review the submissions in the first post, and vote for your favorite! All voters welcome!

• 1. Xorkoth

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 2. xtcgrrrl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Snafu in the Void

• 4. mal3volent

• 5. Nas47

• 6. ions

• 7. MsDiz

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 8. Cheshire_Kat

• 9. thegreenhand

• 10. Mysterier

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 11. CFC

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 12. Balissa

• 13. negrogesic

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 14. azzbatshitazzOzzy

• 15. arrall

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
WELCOME TO PHOTO CONTEST #414!

This round's theme is WATER as selected by your reigning champion: @Nas47.

This theme is explained in its name. Any photos relating to water, or the lack thereof, are acceptable. You can look for some great shots of bodies of water, or you can get more abstract and creative. I'm really excited about this theme... personally I think water photographs great, especially when you use a very quick exposure time. But the details are up to you, of course!

Submissions must be original photographs, with or without minimal pre or post editing.

Submissions are now CLOSED! Take some photos, or select an existing original photo of yours, and submit it! We're approaching the time (in the northern hemisphere anyway) where water is soon to freeze, which means that you have tons of possibilities for this round!

Voting is now OPEN! Please review the submissions below, and then vote for your favorite! Even if you're just browsing the forum, or you're a member who didn't participate in the contest, PLEASE vote, it's better for the whole contest when we get as many votes as possible!

=====================================================================================

1. Xorkoth
P1hqD6n.jpg

2. xtcgrrrl
HOjjcpK.jpg

3. Snafu in the Void
20221120-065504.jpg

4. mal3volent
Cz3jnyf.jpg

5. Nas47
gbmcW2Il.jpg

6. ions
Xt6Cz0il.jpg

7. MsDiz
hq3xnIF.jpeg

8. Cheshire_Kat
AAA-Water-Entry-CK.png

9. thegreenhand
KYRNCD1.jpg

10. Mysterier
FqGofvM.jpg

11. CFC
xjQyqhu.jpg

12. Balissa
VqTb1UD.jpeg

13. negrogesic
1970-01-19-115523719.jpg

14. azzbatshitazzOzzy
IMG-20221231-182738.jpg

15. arrall
rhTTo3E.jpg

=====================================================================================

LAVA Photo Contest Rules
  1. This contest is open to everyone, regardless of equipment and skill level.
  2. Submissions will be taken until November 25th (subject to change depending on participation level).
  3. Voting will open from November 25th through December 15th (subject to change depending on participation level).
  4. Photographs or variations of a photograph cannot be recycled from previous rounds.
  5. Photographs must be your original work.
  6. Post your photo in the the form of an image, not a link to click on.
    • To insert an image, host the image on a 3rd party site and post it using the picture button or this code [IMG]...[/IMG].
    • Those who wish to participate in sharing full versions of their entries may do so by providing a link to the full sized version in the same post as their entry.
    • Please be sure the dimensions of your photo are not obtrusive when displayed.
      • Free image resizing and hosting website - Imgur, or Imgbb
      • Images can be easily resized in Bluelight posts by simply dragging them from the corner into the size you want
  7. The winner shall be crowned and known throughout the land (of BL) henceforth as Waterbender (or another title of your choosing related to the theme)
  8. Don't be boring! Don't vote for your own photo. Make it fun and pick a favorite from your worthy competitors.

Previous thread here

Win the contest and earn a new custom profile title in time to use the massive cash prize that comes with it* to purchase the rights to the Colorado River and become a cold-hearted water baron as the American West dries up!

*Cash prize is subjective and may or may not include imaginary and/or hallucinatory funds subject to Bluelight staff's whims.

Submit as many entries as you want and get feedback on them. If you submit multiple photos and do not specify which one you want to go with, the most recent will be chosen for voting. Please be aware of when the contest will close, it will be announced ahead of time. Once the final entries are put into the first post and voting is opened, we cannot change your entry.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll start this out with a couple of possible photos that I have probably posted in the "share your photography" thread, but in any case I love them. I am going to try to see if I can take some new photos because these are years old, but they were from when I was playing at being a photographer and making prints and stuff and selling them with my art, so I might be a bit rusty compared to then.

They were both taken with my Nikon 3200D, with a very quick shutter speed. This first one is a tiny waterfall I found in a stream on a hike, and I was trying to capture the splash as it fell:

P1hqD6n.jpg

This one was a glass of water on a metal trivet, sitting on my deck outside, which I took a photo of from straight above, after stomping my foot:

Z6lRZcN.jpg

This one is a photo of one of my paintings on a wood block, with a glass bowl of water sitting on top of it, right after I had tapped the water with a straw to make it ripple (I already submitted this one to a photo contest I am 99% sure so it wont be my submission, but I just wanted to share it):

xso8jiO.jpg

Man, I'm back-tagging (prefixing) all the photo contests... and I didn't realize they used to be WEEKLY. No wonder we're on round 414! :ROFLMAO: I'd like to get back to doing these monthly, but weekly is too often, most of them seem to only have 2 or 3 entries and only a few votes. It's certainly a lot more fun when there are a dozen or more entries to choose from. :)

Nice! I'm particularly partial to the third and fourth ones. The third because it gives a good feeling, the 4th because of the lighting

The 3rd one is my oldest child gazing out at the lake at Hopewell.

The 4th is at Uganik Island, Kodiak, AK

Okay, I'll start this out with a couple of possible photos that I have probably posted in the "share your photography" thread, but in any case I love them. I am going to try to see if I can take some new photos because these are years old, but they were from when I was playing at being a photographer and making prints and stuff and selling them with my art, so I might be a bit rusty compared to then.

They were both taken with my Nikon 3200D, with a very quick shutter speed. This first one is a tiny waterfall I found in a stream on a hike, and I was trying to capture the splash as it fell:

P1hqD6n.jpg

This one was a glass of water on a metal trivet, sitting on my deck outside, which I took a photo of from straight above, after stomping my foot:

Z6lRZcN.jpg

This one is a photo of one of my paintings on a wood block, with a glass bowl of water sitting on top of it, right after I had tapped the water with a straw to make it ripple (I already submitted this one to a photo contest I am 99% sure so it wont be my submission, but I just wanted to share it):

xso8jiO.jpg
I love the idea of putting a bowl of water over your art piece and photographing that.

The first photo is the one I think you should submit, however. Nature pics fit best with this theme imo (although I’d love to see other creative ways people might explore this theme as well)

I love the idea of putting a bowl of water over your art piece and photographing that.

It was a whole series I was doing when I was trying to make it as a visual artist. My acrylic paintings already use fluid dynamics of liquid paint to create patterns. So I had the idea to take it up to the next level and photograph them through water and do a series of prints with that. I have a number of photos from that, but the one I posted is my favorite of them.

The first photo is the one I think you should submit, however. Nature pics fit best with this theme imo (although I’d love to see other creative ways people might explore this theme as well)

It's between the first and second for me, so far anyway. I think I like the second one the best, but I'm rather partial to psychedelic patterns :cool: Especially when they're organic. Revealing the psychedelic nature of reality is sorta my jam.

That's so cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

The one for Hitler... wtf? That's wild. And evil, too...

To me, it seems like the intention would matter more than the actual word... after all, words are just sounds. It make sense to me that sounds would affwect crystallization, and also perhaps that intention/energy could. But like, the word "hate" sounds different in different languages. I wonder if the result would be similar? But for it to really count, you'd have to be feeling hate when you said it, I would think. Unless the sounds we associate with words that are "bad" just happen to create discordant patterns when freezing.

In any case, super interesting!