• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Suboxone and fentanyl question

pimpwagon70

Greenlighter
If this has been asked I apologize. I’m curious about the interaction. I’ve been on suboxone for about six months. If I used fentanyl one night would it be enough to cause precipitated withdrawals if used suboxone not the morning directly after but the following day?

I’m aware that everyone is different I’m just curious what other people have experienced with this because I know it’s possible to get high while on subs but was curious if it would trigger the p/w if I have been on it for a while and am not inducting into it for the first time.

In my experience yes and if I was lucky enough to dodge it fully my brain would mind fuck me into wd's that aren't as severe but suck just the same

No it has never been an issue for me. I can use H for a week at a time, use my last dose of H at night, wake up in the morning and take at most 1mg of sub and feel just fine. You can take another mg or two a few hours after the first one. It is just good to start out low.

Fent should behave the similarly so 1 day will be fine.

Okay thank you for the response. With H specifically I never had any issue with a morning after sub dose. But fentanyl while it’s short acting actually stays in the body longer than you would think because it’s lipophilic. So I was wondering how it would work with that and if 36 hours after a one time dose would be okay if I’ve been on suboxone for a while

hey @pimpwagon70 don't take any unnecessary risks here because precipitated withdrawal fucking sucks. I'm not gonna lecture you about the Opioid usage, but as a fellow-traveler, I hate to see people bouncing back and forth between maintenance and dope. You don't get high like you want, it costs you money, you risk involvement with the law and everything else. All of this for a lackluster high, at best.

And of course, in this instance, you're risking the totally terrible experience of precipitated withdrawal. Even if you only used Fentanyl once, I still wouild wait 48 hours at least before trying the Buprenorphine (Suboxone). Even when you do wait, I would suggest taking small fractions of your Buprenorphine dosage incrementally just to make sure you're in the clear.

Street fentanyl is not short acting. It has showed in my urine up to 10 days after. I wouldn't touch a sub for a few days if i were you.

I am currently on the lowest dose of sublocade available and have been for over 7 months now (sublocade being the monthly injection of buprenorphine if anyone wasn’t sure). I had tried many times to break through with H and it wasn’t happening. Then I tried fent for the first time while on the injection and felt high for the first time since beginning the medication.

Recently my scheduled dose of sub had to be delayed a week and during that week I did fentanyl many times every day. I went in for my shot and was honest with my dr as I thought I’d have to start the process over and get on the pills before I could get the shot so I’d avoid p/w. My dr UA’d me and saw there was still bupe in my system and he’s the one that told me I should be good to go with my second shot and shouldn’t experience precipitated withdrawal. I got the shot and was totally fine.

All of this to say that with that experience in hand, I now believe that for myself, as long as I have not completely cleared the bupe from my system I can take a dose of sub after using a full agonist not not be sent into p/w. Take that story with a grain of salt cause like you said we are all unique.

hey @pimpwagon70 don't take any unnecessary risks here because precipitated withdrawal fucking sucks. I'm not gonna lecture you about the Opioid usage, but as a fellow-traveler, I hate to see people bouncing back and forth between maintenance and dope. You don't get high like you want, it costs you money, you risk involvement with the law and everything else. All of this for a lackluster high, at best.

And of course, in this instance, you're risking the totally terrible experience of precipitated withdrawal. Even if you only used Fentanyl once, I still wouild wait 48 hours at least before trying the Buprenorphine (Suboxone). Even when you do wait, I would suggest taking small fractions of your Buprenorphine dosage incrementally just to make sure you're in the clear.
I agree. I’ve been on subs for a while. But from time to time the urge to use is still there and be overpowering. I’m currently accepting help for that finally and listening to others to help me stay clean. Your totally correct that bouncing back and forth isn’t worth it. Even when I’m not on subs opiates just don’t do what they used to do anyways. What I ended up doing was waiting 48 hours and then dosing .5 milligrams every hour until I hit 8mg which is my daily dose. I only used for one day so that probably didn’t the fentanyl a lot of time to build up in my fat but I was okay and didn’t get p/w. I appreciate the concern and have been starting to agree with your opinion on it.

If this has been asked I apologize. I’m curious about the interaction. I’ve been on suboxone for about six months. If I used fentanyl one night would it be enough to cause precipitated withdrawals if used suboxone not the morning directly after but the following day?

I’m aware that everyone is different I’m just curious what other people have experienced with this because I know it’s possible to get high while on subs but was curious if it would trigger the p/w if I have been on it for a while and am not inducting into it for the first ti You can use fent right afterward taking subs buy not other way around

I am currently on the lowest dose of sublocade available and have been for over 7 months now (sublocade being the monthly injection of buprenorphine if anyone wasn’t sure). I had tried many times to break through with H and it wasn’t happening. Then I tried fent for the first time while on the injection and felt high for the first time since beginning the medication.

Recently my scheduled dose of sub had to be delayed a week and during that week I did fentanyl many times every day. I went in for my shot and was honest with my dr as I thought I’d have to start the process over and get on the pills before I could get the shot so I’d avoid p/w. My dr UA’d me and saw there was still bupe in my system and he’s the one that told me I should be good to go with my second shot and shouldn’t experience precipitated withdrawal. I got the shot and was totally fine.

All of this to say that with that experience in hand, I now believe that for myself, as long as I have not completely cleared the bupe from my system I can take a dose of sub after using a full agonist not not be sent into p/w. Take that story with a grain of salt cause like you said we are all unique.
I'm new on the sublocade shot. Started June but due to rural access I've only gotten June's 300mg and a 300mg Sept 5th. Rural access has made this into a nightmare, as I didn't want strips due to how simple it is to stop dosing, bring e a few days, then re induce. Which i did plenty on off months.

However This month was the first time I risked using while on the shot, around week 2 or 3. After realizing a m30 actually got me pleasantly stoned I binged the last 6 days, roughly 10 pills a day. I'm only now realizing I'm due to go in for my next month's dose in 4 days on Monday. It will be day 28 from last shot so I should technically still have plenty bupe in me as well. So in your experience because you still had a remaining doses from your previous shot you technically weren't even inducing, just redosing. Can you recall how many days between your last fent use and your shot? I can't understand what receptors this fentanyl is reaching and how i dont start precipitated wds from use??

Sublocade has stumped me anytime I try to find the information Im looking for, like possible drug interactions and its mechanism of action. Theres really not much out about it.

Update 10/6 post Sublocade shot: Figured an update may be helpful to someone else later on. My quickcup UA was still positive for fentanyl, becsuse i used Fri too. I already drove the 2 hrs, so i just prepared myself for the worst and commited.

My theory is that because i still had a few days left from my previous shot, i was covered by 30mgs constantly in my blood, but i can't say for certain.
Lesson learned I hope.

Last edited: