• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Teeth!

^Not so I'm afraid, haven't you seen the hardcore junkies getting around with missing/broken/cracked teeth?

Rtp

More related to poverty and chaotic lives than anything else. Yes, some substances like amphetamines and opiates dry up your saliva, but you're not going to end up with missing teeth if you're only using occasionally, rehydrating, making sure you brush your teeth at normal times, and regularly seeing a dentist for preventative care and early intervention for problems.

Plenty of middle class people maintain drug habits, but you don't see them getting about with missing teeth.

^Notice I said "hardcore junkies", not middle, upper, or any class of moderate drug users. Meth mouth anyone?

Rtp

First thing - stop all kinds of fluoride. ALL the science says the only version of fluoride that might work is topical. (i.e. brushing with it) And they NEVER do tests of brushing teeth versus brushing with fluoride, only brushing with fluoride versus no brushing at all. Why? Because fluoride doesn't do bugger all for your teeth, it's the brushing!

There is NO SCIENCE that says drinking the shit helps and all the OTHER Science says it cannot possibly affect your teeth after you are more than about 10 - 12 years old. And there IS science that says drinking it accumulats in your body and improves your chances of cancer and a variety of other deadly shit.

And it actually gives you all the things it is meant to protect against. Fluorosis - look it up - you get it from USING fluoride. Look online for better toothpastes or just use water and a brush.

@realscientists on Twitter was hosted by a prominent dental health researcher over the past week. He had some interesting (and convincing) data visualisations about the impact of fluroidation and preventative dentistry respectively.

It's a pretty long way from "NO SCIENCE".

The left side of my mouth is numb after a cavity filling. They recommended a tooth extraction because I still have all my wisdom teeth intact, and two of them are crooked. I haven't had any problems with them, but two different dentist's recommended an extraction. How do I know whether I could live with uneven wisdom teeth, without problems into the future, or if the dentist/oral-surgeon just wants my $$$$?

^I had all my wisdom teeth out not long ago because they were getting too big & crowding the others, even breaking floss as they became closer.
Wasn't until one of my front bottom teeth started to very slightly turn out at one side I took it seriously & decided to get them out.
Two at a time under general anaesthetic as the roots had grown so deep. The surgeon had to cut into my jawbone the second round, apparently I had too many teeth for the size of my mouth.

Rtp