• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery The 2022 alcohol support thread

yep.

i mean i was banging the same drum this time last year. but i'm optimistic things are different (famous last words), because alcohol is causing me a lot more problems now:

-not the person i want to be when drinking
-want a healthy human child
-makes work a chore and i don't perform as well
-can't enjoy time not working
-tired all the time
-having a load of health issues from my previous addictions is proving i'm not invincible (i've been learning this on and off since i was 20 so not sure when i'll get it straight)
-type even more shite on BL
-lost emotional resilience, first thought now is to drink or purge when i get uncomfortable emotions, when i was completely abstinent i could actually cope with them
-drunkenly thought purging would be a good idea and now, after 24 years of EDs and thinking i understood that aspect of me pretty well, i have a new behaviour that has made me feel very unwell. i have at least taken action to get it kinda under control
-fucked my GABA receptors and thus natural sleep
-literally what is the point in not smoking crack, which feels fucking good 1 pipe out of 10, or not doing speedballs, just to hate yourself not really enjoying drinking?
- so bored of moaning about drinking

so instead of escalating further, i hope that i'm gonna stop so i can get the best out of my life.

thought of another
-i would be less of a fat bitch if i didn't have any alcohol calories

Last edited by a moderator:
well done.

gotta say it is fucking on me.

my boyf drank last night while i was doing a study group and lied about it. pissed all over the bathroom floor int he night and woke me up being a general nuisance and i couldn't get back to sleep.

so i'm tired, in a bad mood, i've worked all day, and its friday. i'll be so angry with myself if i do drink. i don't know why my boyf having drank somehow makes it more difficult for me to not drink.

i don't know why my boyf having drank somehow makes it more difficult for me to not drink.
Oh babe it makes it INFINITELY harder to stay sober if your partner is drinking!!! You've gotta be more stern with him about this, especially when you get pregnant. Perhaps you guys can reach a compromise, that maybe he can drink but ONLY out of the house i.e. at a friend's place, at the pub, etc, but just not in the house. Be honest with him and tell him much it triggers you.

I am really worried about daily binge drinking again, once my son is born (in a few weeks), as I can already feel my addict brain starting to find all the excuses and work out how I can do it so that breastfeeding won't be an issue. So my plan is to start back on Antabuse as soon as he's born.

Has anyone here been on Antabuse?? I have, on and off, for about 6 years. It's actually one of the most effective things that TRULY stops me from drinking.

Good decision man! @F.U.B.A.R.
Not sure if you can relate to that, but what 'helped' me was ..well :rolleyes:, brutal fuck-ups. Don't know what to call it, standards is not quite the right word, maybe limits. I had escalations that really resulted in physical problems, with puking for one and a half days, totally wrecking my gut, being one of the minor symptoms. Ultimately leading me to the viewpoint, that "I just can not be this person", cause there was no doubt where this was heading anymore. I still don't want to be this person, not unlike what @chinup wrote. RESOLVE ..is what I'm aiming at, I guess.

The second thing was really looking at the mechanism that kept me in the loop, which is probably unique for everyone. I have a health situation that is undeniable made worse by alcohol, so escaping with alcohol from the fact that I make it continuously worse by drinking alcohol, ..o_O And it also built up to these escalating events, most of them were actually and ironically on 'the last day of drinking'. Do yo know this pattern?

Another thing I think is important is to notice and emphasize the upsides! I bet there are things that e.g. you didn't do and didn't enjoy or just were not good at because of alcohol. If you don't find such things, look harder! Like if you used to drink at night, sleep will inevitably improve. Or weed is way different without alcohol. ;) Make an effort to notice these aspects, dwell on them. This will create a counterbalance to old habits and tendencies. Having resolve is all great, but if you find yourself in the same old conditioned situation, with all the usual triggers waiting and there is nothing else than plain resolve and this empty hole, this will grind you up.

Sorry for the rant, I don't want to come across as preaching from pedestal or something. Do you want to leave this stuff alone for good, or do think use in moderation is realistic and want to do that..?

I think I need to join this thread. I'm totally overdoing it with the drink at the moment. I don't think I can abstain but really need to wind it back a lot.

Good decision man! @F.U.B.A.R.
Not sure if you can relate to that, but what 'helped' me was ..well :rolleyes:, brutal fuck-ups. Don't know what to call it, standards is not quite the right word, maybe limits. I had escalations that really resulted in physical problems, with puking for one and a half days, totally wrecking my gut, being one of the minor symptoms. Ultimately leading me to the viewpoint, that "I just can not be this person", cause there was no doubt where this was heading anymore. I still don't want to be this person, not unlike what @chinup wrote. RESOLVE ..is what I'm aiming at, I guess.

That didn't sound preachy to me. It's the brutal fuck ups and making myself so physically and mentally unwell that always give me a wake up call too.

Oh babe it makes it INFINITELY harder to stay sober if your partner is drinking!!! You've gotta be more stern with him about this, especially when you get pregnant. Perhaps you guys can reach a compromise, that maybe he can drink but ONLY out of the house i.e. at a friend's place, at the pub, etc, but just not in the house. Be honest with him and tell him much it triggers you.
yeah, i really should tell him outright it triggers me. i was just surprised cos he was as motivated to do dry jan as me. but my study group was 1 hour 45 mins and in that time he drank half a bottle of gin.

i haven't seen him in such a bad state since what i think might have been a suicide attempt, don't dare ask him cos i would have to talk about what a nightmare i was at the time and even though it was years ago i still have too much shame. but then as well as drinking a shit ton he stole loads of my benzos and all my subutex. he was totally opiate naive. anyway like the crackhead i am, i got all my drugs together, phoned an ambulance, and split.

I am really worried about daily binge drinking again, once my son is born (in a few weeks), as I can already feel my addict brain starting to find all the excuses and work out how I can do it so that breastfeeding won't be an issue. So my plan is to start back on Antabuse as soon as he's born.
i can totally see how it can start to fuck with you- you've done so well in your pregnancy. but even if you don't hurt his physical health, having a mother who isn't 'present' will have an impact so your brain could maybe use that? anyway being back on antabuse sounds like a plan. i've never tried it. i was thinking about asking the dr for it but then i'd have to own up to my drinking.

I think I need to join this thread. I'm totally overdoing it with the drink at the moment. I don't think I can abstain but really need to wind it back a lot.
welcome!! and good luck. do you have any specific goals? like only drink x times a month/week or whatever? when i was trying to wind it in i found that vaguely planning on drinking less didn't help. and then i failed anyway but hey ho.

@bongdong i think you're totally right about finding whats keeping you in the loop. i have no idea what it was for me though boredom and apathy probably played a large role. i'm sorry to hear about your health problems, my brain does similar illogical things finding the things that should motivate me to stop just get me further in. the upsides is a huge thing, i've been mentally compiling the list in my first post of this thread since mid december. i felt so shit and knew drinking was making it worse but it just felt impossible to stop.

@Skorpio welcome also, and i don't think there is any requirement to plan to stop drinking for the whole year.

anyway, i'm 7 days in and worked through my first real cravings last night. and i feel good about it. when i first quit heroin i got pissed off every time i worked through a craving cos it meant i'd have less justfication to use on them in future. but now i just feel relieved. also got my first decent nights sleep with no sleep aids so i'm pleased with that. sleep and lack thereof is a major trigger for me.

It gets easier with time... The cravings get less intense and your mind levels itself out. It's more of a background noise for me now.
Sometimes I'll get triggered by things and therefore it's important not to get complacent.
For me personally there is certain emotions and feelings I need to watch out for and sit with until they pass (one day at a time really works and if it takes three days (at a time) it eventually subsides and I always sigh with relief that I didn't cave in) 1. depression (boredom, discontent, lack of motivation/interest, low self-esteem etc), 2. excitement, (similar to "Friday feeling" or the feeling you get when you're getting ready to go out which can be annoying but for me cannabis helps, CBD and coffee and of course music - basically learning to enjoy things again without it) 3. Envy - which is a tricky one for a while I couldn't be around any alcohol nevermind with anyone who was drinking but after a few different occasions I'm getting used to it so that it's bearable and it feels liberating in a way not to crave it as hard as I did before and am still able to enjoy people's company... still new at this one but it's definitely getting easier just like the supermarket did and now that I've stopped and enough time has passed I would rather not allow it to control me in any way at all, such as missing out on a fun night out. Think keeping in mind how debilitated both mentally and physically I got with it scares and helps me to know that the risk of going back to that isn't worth it. It's so moreish for me. Distraction techniques stuff that u wouldn't normally do accompanied by your drinking hand to begin with worked for me. Take pride in each day you wake up without a hangover/thankful you're not in withdrawal and in yourself generally because it's not easy and you'll without a doubt feel better for it plus you could be improving other peoples life's around you too if you have people who worry about you and stuff. Yeah just feeling good that you're able to support others whilst also helping yourself...easier said than done I know but it defo gets easier and finally the cash money lol.

Last edited:
yeah, i really should tell him outright it triggers me. i was just surprised cos he was as motivated to do dry jan as me. but my study group was 1 hour 45 mins and in that time he drank half a bottle of gin.
Yeah, I didn't realise how much it was triggering me when my husband just has a 6-pack of beers on the weekend when he works on his music. I was too proud to admit it to him, even when he straight up has asked me several times if it's too triggering for me, I think I'm trying to be a hero about it by not admitting that it DOES trigger me. I will tell him next time he says he's getting beers.

Do you know why your man drinks? Have you guys ever had that conversation before?? Like, does he have past trauma, anxiety issues, recent trauma etc?

i can totally see how it can start to fuck with you- you've done so well in your pregnancy. but even if you don't hurt his physical health, having a mother who isn't 'present' will have an impact so your brain could maybe use that? anyway being back on antabuse sounds like a plan. i've never tried it. i was thinking about asking the dr for it but then i'd have to own up to my drinking.
Thank you so much honey <3 I just want to be the best mother I can be to this precious little boy <3 He deserves the world, and he is surrounded by SO MUCH LOVE already and he's not even born yet haha! Anyway, as for the Antabuse, if you've considered it, it might be worth trying. But I will say that you ABSOLUTELY MUST be committed to staying sober. If you drink while you're on Antabuse it is really fucking unpleasant. Even if you try to wait 7-10 days for it to leave your system so that you can drink, the first 1-2 times you drink after taking it will still have that really awful feeling. But for me it works really, really well, just knowng that I absolutely CAN NOT DRINK while on it, and even if I stop taking it, the week or so that you have to wait before you can drink again is a really fucking long time to wait and weigh up whether you REALLY want to start drinking again. Psychologically, it's really a fantastic drug in that way.

anyway, i'm 7 days in and worked through my first real cravings last night. and i feel good about it. when i first quit heroin i got pissed off every time i worked through a craving cos it meant i'd have less justfication to use on them in future. but now i just feel relieved. also got my first decent nights sleep with no sleep aids so i'm pleased with that. sleep and lack thereof is a major trigger for me.
That is AWESOME honey!!! Really fucking awesome! I love that accomplished feeling when you've worked through hours of cravings without caving in to it. Keep it up, cos you absolutely know you can do it <3

I've been browsing BL for a few months after drinking led me again to using stimulants. A few years ago I was drinking very heavily, along with my girlfriend at the time. We lived in Vegas, and she was a bartender, so drinking was a daily part of our lives. We went to a holiday party, and she introduced me to her friend's boyfriend, who I immediately bought some cocaine off of. I had tried it before, but could never afford or regularly find it. This spiraled into a cycle of drinking, buying coke, consuming it all, then regretting everything the next day. I hid the extent of my cocaine usage from my girlfriend, but it eventually spiraled ever downward. The drinking always led to me fiending for some coke.

After a spectacular trainwreck of terrible decisions, including trying meth for the first time, and shortly after having a catastrophic breakup with my girlfriend, I quit my respectable and professional job on the spot, and moved back home.

I continued to drink heavily, living in a shitty basement apartment and working as a teacher's assistant at the college I graduated from. After my drinking continued to escalate, drinking a pint of whiskey to myself, then hitting the bars, I finally went to see a doctor. He prescribed anti-depressants and Naltrexone.

I took my medication religiously, and after a few months of my drinking decreasing, I finally quit altogether. I felt like Naltrexone was a miracle. I had never thought that I would be able to quit drinking without long term in-patient rehab, and attending meetings for the rest of my life. That drug, in addition to smoking tons of weed, allowed me to break free.

I moved to a city nearby, where I was able to find a good job in my field, and things were going well for a while. I had been single throughout my whole recovery, and thought I was ready to finally meet the woman of my dreams, and start a family. I met an amazing girl who had the same desire. As time progressed, she never understood why I consumed so much pot. I would never be stoned at work, but as soon as I got home I would be hitting the dab pen. I tried to explain that this was part of my recovery, and that it had helped me stop drinking, but I don't think she ever truly understood.

The relationship moved very quickly, despite the numerous red flags that should have made me question this path. We eventually broke up, and shortly after we learned that she was pregnant. Being a dad had always been my dream, but I knew the relationship itself would not work. We decided that we would still have the baby, and coparent as a team.

The pregnancy was very difficult for her, where she was always throwing up and was unable to work some days. I supported her in what ways I could. While on a business trip, I receive a call from her, and she was going into emergency surgery because her body was rejecting the baby. In retrospect, I should have dropped everything and flew back, but she did not inform me until literally right before the surgery, and she was already surrounded by family members to support her. When I was in the airport waiting to fly back, she called to let me know that she had survived the surgery. I didn't know how sick she really was until that moment. She didn't think she would survive, and told me she had made peace with dying before going under. She said she had named the baby Thomas, and that she had requested a plot in the small cemetery at the hospital. I still haven't gone to see it.

I immediately went to the airport bar and started drinking whiskey, heavily. I called my sister and told her that when I landed I wanted to go out and drink. She was aware of what was going on, and was friends with my ex. I continued to drink on the airplane, and got an uber from the airport to where my sister was. She was able to find me an 8-ball of coke, which we all consumed that night with some of her friends.

Since then my drinking has been back. It hasn't been nearly as heavy as before, but it continues to lead me down the road of fiending for stimulants. Trying to take the Naltrexone hasn't worked this time around. I haven't been able to find a hookup for coke, but meth is much easier to find. This led to 3 separate occasions of finding some, and binging for two days, then crashing horrendously. Each time I would have a moment of clarity, dump the rest, and cut off all ties to those I had just met who continued to push it. After the second time, I found BL and began reading about people who had problems with alcohol, and people with problems with meth.

Three days ago the same thing happened. I got drunk, then starting looking. It was easy to find, and soon enough I was back into the same cycle. This time I am taking much stronger approach to getting away from these poisons. I dumped what remained, and cut all ties.

Drinking always leads to cravings for stimulants, and eventually I will lose all control and my entire life will be completely destroyed. I called an outpatient recovery center yesterday morning after being up for 32 hours, and scheduled an evaluation appointment for next Wednesday. I want to get the slow release Naltrexone so that I can bypass the excuses I always come up with to not take the pill version. Additionally, I will be finding a counselor who specializes in addiction recovery, and can give me tools like cognitive behavioral therapy in order to fight the cravings for drugs and alcohol.

Anyway, as for the Antabuse, if you've considered it, it might be worth trying. But I will say that you ABSOLUTELY MUST be committed to staying sober. If you drink while you're on Antabuse it is really fucking unpleasant. Even if you try to wait 7-10 days for it to leave your system so that you can drink, the first 1-2 times you drink after taking it will still have that really awful feeling. But for me it works really, really well, just knowng that I absolutely CAN NOT DRINK while on it, and even if I stop taking it, the week or so that you have to wait before you can drink again is a really fucking long time to wait and weigh up whether you REALLY want to start drinking again. Psychologically, it's really a fantastic drug in that way.

Reading about Antabuse makes my anxious. The side effects from drinking on Naltrexone were part of what helped me stop drinking, and that's actually part of the reason that I struggle to keep taking it regularly now. Antabuse is like a scorched earth approach to fighting this, but I think that might be the only way that I can really escape. Literally not having the option to drink would be a blessing. "Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." I will reach out today and see how I can get a prescription for this.

Through all of this I have found my faith in God. I pray every day for strength to fight this addiction, and with his guidance I will break the cycle that I find myself in again. I'm praying for all of you, my friends. This is the most difficult battle I have ever had to fight, and I know we all have the strength within ourselves to break free. I love each and every one of you, and I believe in you.

Hi @Pindleskin and welcome to Bluelight <3
Thanks so much for sharing all of that with us <3

Just following on from the Antabuse thing, yes it's a real committment that you have to make, like I said you have to be REALLY serious about not drinking. But for me it's the one tactic that absolutely 100% prevents me from drinking, as it has a very strong psychological effect on me. That's just my personal experience with it, and it's not always successful for everyone who tries it. But hey, if you are that desperate to let go of alcohol, it is definitely worth a try!!!! Let us know how you go with it <3

Do you know why your man drinks? Have you guys ever had that conversation before?? Like, does he have past trauma, anxiety issues, recent trauma etc?
not really. his mum was a v severe alcoholic, which he discovered when he was 7 and didn't get picked up from school. he found her unconscious at home and thought she was dead. so that was pretty traumatic. his upbringing was as good as it can be under those circumstances, no problems materially cos his dad has a good job, but he had to work all the time to support 5 children, so my boyf ended up doing a lot of care as he's the oldest.

i've suggested he get counselling, he's determined not to. even when i tried to lay down the law for him to get therapy about all the shit i put him through so it doesn't just come out in drunken arguments.

Thank you so much honey <3 I just want to be the best mother I can be to this precious little boy <3
i'm sure you will be an absolutely fantastic mum!! the fact that you are developing strategies ahead of time to make sure you are the best version of you possible is a testament to that.

@Pindleskin fuck man i'm so sorry for the loss of your child. i am not surprised you drank on that. i think losing a child is probably on a lot of people's reservation lists- i.e. what they think they might use on. and yeah, drugs are always super easy to find once you know how to look. apart from once when i got ripped off, i've always scored off the first person i asked. so these things will always be available. you've done really well to nip it in the bud and take action to get back into sobriety.

from my own experience, i can say that you are unlikely to truly process your loss until you get clean. i lost a good friend while using and thought i'd grieved for him, but when i got clean i found out i really hadn't. so it is likely to get worse before it gets better but you will work through it, don't let it make you lose hope.

8 days sober. had some mild cravings late yesterday afternoon but nothing too difficult. i used to find the unfilled sober time on saturdays almost scary, like what the fuck to do? turns out, the same as what i was doing drunk mostly, i'm sure i'll get motivated to do something more productive than TV and video games soon. this is the longest i've had in a while, maybe since 2020.

@n3ophy7e & @chinup Thank you both for your support. I know that there's a lot of pain in my past that is still unresolved, and it surprises me on occasion when I come to a realization that had been evading me for years. I had a friend pass from a drug overdose more than ten years ago, but I didn't realize until just the past few years (and even literally just now) that her death really signaled the beginning of my downward spiral.

After our friend group learned of her death, we all got together and got drunk, then started doing lines of coke. I had pieced together a while ago that this was involved with my increase in drinking, but it wasn't until literally this moment that I remembered that we also dipped into that other garbage that night. It just goes to show how difficult it is to process tragedy, and that we are only deluding ourselves when we think that we truly understand ourselves and how these events influence our behavior.

Separately, it wasn't until just a month ago, while I was crashing after a few days of another binge, that I realized how insane my drug-addicted behavior was when I was with my ex in Vegas. I had been harboring resentment and hatred towards her for years, and this realization finally allowed me to forgive her for the horrible mistakes that she had made. I had the sudden insight that it was myself that I needed to learn to forgive, not everyone else.

I have been saying The Lord's Prayer as part of my prayers in the morning, and there was one part that I always had to change, because I saw it as a lie when I repeated it.

Traditionally the section goes: "And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us." I would say "And forgive us our trespasses, as we hope to forgive those who trespass against us."

Now I can say, with a clear conscience, the whole prayer as it was said traditionally.

@chinup I definitely feel you when it comes to figuring out what to do instead of drinking. Typically I would get home and play video games while drinking, until I got bored or too drunk, then switch to watching the same old movies that I have seen a million times. I have a few relatives that have been telling me for years that I need to start working out as an activity to replace my drinking, but it's become such a cliché conversation that I completely disregard it. I know that they're right, though.

Once again, I believe in us, and I pray for each of you every day.

Walked about 10 miles today in the cold, so I got to test out some of the wool and cotton military surplus and hunting stuff I bought for cheap in the summer (base layers, socks, face coverings, neck gaiter, scarf). My energy level is already a lot higher, which makes me wonder if I subconsciously may have been drinking to lower my energy level (besides being drunk feeling good). Had trouble going to sleep the first night but since then I just take 1 or at most 2 hits of good weed, eat something, and I'm able to sleep. Thought about diphenhydramine, but weed/food worked. Realized how many calories of beer I was drinking, so I'll probably lose 20lbs or so if I keep this up.

Getting a good amount of exercise this year with my new time I have from not drinking. Putting on healthy weight as well.

I was able to have a couple drinks around news years day without issue but there was the thought in my head to continue it for a couple days. That trigger is gone but it's important to stay on top of them even when I feel like I'm doing really well. I'm confident that I can slip back into it if I wanted to and I'd be cocky to think it could never happen again.

Any of you guys want to join me?
Yes.
I am afraid I have a head start cause I maybe drink three times a year (although heavily and lasting).
I'll throw that in the ante if it'll help. Guessing it can't hurt me and it may save others the occasional ass-clown persona I put on when drinking. :LOL:

Last edited:
Glad everyone is doing well and finding healthy things to do instead of drinking!! @F.U.B.A.R. how are you doing? since you started the thread i think you owe us an update/opportunity to call you a cunt.
Realized how many calories of beer I was drinking, so I'll probably lose 20lbs or so if I keep this up.
yep the calories tot up quickly.

i've found myself really hungry. i think my body might be trying to replace some of the calories i'm not getting from drinking. its really odd. usually i have to tell i'm hungry by things like hands being freezing and tiredness. i don't like feeling it in my stomach. hope it passes soon.

my boyf is using his new found energy to 'be productive' and its driving me fucking mad. i mean i'm glad he's not drinking, but my energy levels haven't returned from getting covid yet. he's started sorting the front room, which has just had boxes in and the door shut since we got to this house. like ripped up the carpet and shit. he's planning all these elaborate meals. i'm happy he's doing useful stuff but he's constantly asking for my input on stuff and i don't have the mental space to care right now.

@Pindleskin you probably have a lot of realisations to come, especially re behaviour while using. i haven't used hard drugs regularly for more than 3 years and i am still realising horrendous shit i did. have you made any progress on finding an addiction therapist?