• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery The 2022 alcohol support thread

@chinup Oh I'm sure that I do. I have that appointment next Wednesday to talk to someone at a recovery center about counseling and slow release Naltrexone, but haven't looked beyond that. I had found a good psychologist a while ago, but his office never returned my call for an appointment. I think tomorrow I'll make another call to see if he is taking new patients.

@Electrum1 Walking around in the middle of winter was one of my favorite things to do last time I got sober. I would just bundle up and go trek out into the 6-8 inches of snow with my dog. It was a good time, and gave me an opportunity to do some self reflection and thinking about the future. 3mg melatonin and some Valerian Root can help with sleep if you end up struggling, in addition to the weed. Make sure you get a good 7-8 hours with the root, though, or you'll still be quite groggy in the morning.

@w01fg4ng Keep up the good fight, my friend. One thing I've realized is that the cravings do go away after a while if you're able to focus on something else. Addiction is a crafty motherfucker, like a little demon trying to play every trick it can to convince you to just take one drink. I believe in you!

We're all in this together, brothers and sisters! We can do it! A brighter future lies ahead of us!

Best of luck to eveybody on your journeys into sobriety.

For me, I've recently picked up moderate drinking again. Primarily just sticking to beer, or small amount of liquor.

When I drink straight liquor and a lot of it, it always becomes a huge problem and I get really destructive and aggressive towards everyone. I've found that as long as I'm able to moderate, like no more than 6 drinks a night, I'm able to pretty much hang in there and not lose control.

But there's a fine line. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into more of a problem, but for me, as long as I'm steering clear of the hard stuff and trying to moderate I'm doing ok.

I really hope everyone here is able to get the relief they need from drinking. It truly is a destructive habit and it's very difficult to stop. I have gone through alcohol withdrawal, as well as severe long periods of extensive binge drinking, so I know how tough it gets. Reach out if there's anything I can help you with.

Ahoi. How you holdin' up @F.U.B.A.R. ? On a bender? To make it count, since it's 'the last time'? I used to do that, with more or less disastrous results every time. 😵 Report immediately! Hey, you made the mistake to make yourself 'accountable' here! 😜

Nah, just kidding, and it's not exactly a joking matter. But if humor gets one to disentangle from things a little bit, it's totally worth it, I think. It makes stuff relative, shifts perspective, doesn't seem to fuel habit/ego. I used to be super hard on myself when I couldn't keep up with my goals/promises, which down the road was pretty conterproductive and kept me in place. However, it helped me or accelerated to get really fed up with my ways and the situation. So I guess most things (everything?) can be used for something, depending from what place one approaches them. Hope you're doing o.k..

I think I need to join this thread. I'm totally overdoing it with the drink at the moment. I don't think I can abstain but really need to wind it back a lot.
Good choice. Why do you think that? Not the winding back part, but that you can't do without for at least a while? Cheers.

I'm sick of drinking. It will be the death of me one way or another.

So it's bye bye time to the booze.

Any of you guys want to join me? We could all help each other out on our journeys...
Count me in after being sober on 2-januari after 9 day's of no booze. I saw myself walking in the liqour store and coming out wit a bottle of Vodka. That i finished. Next day went the same.

Then i tapered 2 day's and after that switched to 3 standard dosages of Benzo's a day. The first to day's I experienced very worrying signals; twitches and jerk's, profound sweating.

Now on day 6 these symptom's disappeared and last night i slept very good for my standards. Despite my sleeping disorder.
The second thing was really looking at the mechanism that kept me in the loop, which is probably unique for everyone. I have a health situation that is undeniable made worse by alcohol, so escaping with alcohol from the fact that I make it continuously worse by drinking alcohol, ..o_O And it also built up to these escalating events, most of them were actually and ironically on 'the last day of drinking'. Do yo know this pattern?

Another thing I think is important is to notice and emphasize the upsides! I bet there are things that e.g. you didn't do and didn't enjoy or just were not good at because of alcohol. If you don't find such things, look harder! Like if you used to drink at night, sleep will inevitably improve. Or weed is way different without alcohol. ;) Make an effort to notice these aspects, dwell on them. This will create a counterbalance to old habits and tendencies. Having resolve is all great, but if you find yourself in the same old conditioned situation, with all the usual triggers waiting and there is nothing else than plain resolve and this empty hole, this will grind you up.

Sorry for the rant, I don't want to come across as preaching from pedestal or something. Do you want to leave this stuff alone for good, or do think use in moderation is realistic and want to do that..?
No apologie's this is a thread you can rant right. But the loop you described is very useful info as i recognize myself in it.

Both my situation, Epilepsy and sleeping problem's are worsened by alcohol. But they are also the reason to make me drink. Trying to drink myself out of that shithole.

Struggling the day. Really depressed. Been considering scoring something else it's that bad... anything not to go back to constant drinking....but I started drinking to deal with trauma and replace iv'ing khat and smoking heroin occasionally, it's fucking murder.
Hope everyones ok. And hope nobody is feeling ashamed or anything. Thanks for starting this thread @F.U.B.A.R. ✌️
How long are you sober?

You wrote it used to take you 3 day's and things start to get better. It might take some longer this time have you considered that. I had a 4 day relapse and it was till day 5 that I got some relief. And I use med's to help else I would not even have made it. But it depend's on the individual if that is an option. If you have not been addicted to sedative's or painkiller's it seems safer otherwise you risk switching addiction's.

Can you get something lighter as Heroin? Codeine or Kratom would be a godsend right now. And for me pot helps to, but I have no anxiety issue's.

Hi everyone. I recently made a promise to myself to cut down drinking to max twice a week but that's totally went to shit as I'm drinking beer now.
Not really enjoying it, got that sludgy, bloated with beer feeling so keep in mind guys it's usually not really worth it. Just a fucking bad habit that we're all capable of breaking.

I too actually feel better when Ive not had a drink. I sleep like a log usually whereas if I go to bed tipsy I wake up at 4am feeling wired and anxious.
It's not a hangover cos I don't usually drink more than 4 or 5 beers, I heard on a cool podcast "stuff you should know" it's an upsurge in norepinephrine caused by your system coming back to life.

Another off-putting fact about hangovers is that the headache you get is actually your brain sending water from itself to other organs to keep them functioning. The brain itself can't feel pain but the membrane attaching it to your skull can! Stretch stretch oww oww 8(

So yeah, great thread @F.U.B.A.R. I'll join the KOOL kids and tame my sauce addiction. My mate has asked me to join the gym with him so it could be time to drop the plonk and gain sum GAINS

@iTry91 really hope you didn't score.

its not worth it.

also i found opiates didn't work for me after a long time clean so it was totally not worth using again for me at least. but its a huge risk.

today was the first day i noticed a difference mentally. i was so productive at work. By lunchtime i'd done what would take me at least a day hungover. then had 2.5 hours of meetings so not so good in the afternoon. i've not been watching the clock desperate for it to be over, which given i actually enjoy my job should have been a given.

looked in the 2020 recovery thread to see how i did last year. a lot better than i thought. from what i can see i drank 2 nights from the start of jan until my boyfs birthday (when jan ends in our house). i guess that's a cautionary tale in itself. just cos i can do january without being forced into fucking rehab, doesn't mean i won't end the year hating my life due to booze. looks like i did find it quite challenging and was gasping for a drink by the end so i can't make the mistake of planning to drink in feb again.

@axe battler did not know that about hangovers!! and yes you should totally drop the beer and get in the gym, or find some sort of exercise you like. £100 a conservative estimate of what i've saved so far so i could probably join like 10 gyms with the money i'll save in jan.

God save the king. What a shithole is the Netherland's.

I am Epileptic so i need these medication's, I ordered my refill last friday.

"Sorry sir but there are trouble's with the delivery, we don't know why". The same phrase i heard last week. I don't need any extra stress atm, but that is how good our healthcare system is.

They offcourse don't know about my Alcohol issue. And that i actually quitted and everything on top of that is to much.

The story's you all wrote will take some time to proces. Losing your baby, divorce, relapses and continuing wd symptom's. Just what on top of my head.

Anyone heard of F.U.B.A.R. How are you doing atm mate?

My problem's luckily dissolved. What the drugstore couldn't do, deliver my medication. Specifically the Clobazam. The mail man could :oops:.
My order made yesterday, of some FluEtizolam, arrived today. I wish that you all have some luck to in the coming day's.

Been good so far. Got 6 hours of sleep last night and felt better than i usually do (used to staying up too late while drinking). Talk of going out this weekend, gonna hope to steer it to somewhere that isn't too triggering (club over bar for me, though even a club will be a challange).

All of a sudden mfs wanna go out and have a few cold ones after work. Looks like Imma have to pass. Got enough shit on my plate atm. Don't even need a possible (likely) fuck up. Really.
So there ya have it. I really don't wanna be that stick in the mud but I don't wanna be that mf inda drunk tank either. lol Can't afford that... ya'll wait til Imma rock star. :doggo:
If someone fucks up bring back the war stories and own them mfs. haha I will but not looking to.
Best

All of a sudden mfs wanna go out and have a few cold ones after work. Looks like Imma have to pass. Got enough shit on my plate atm. Don't even need a possible (likely) fuck up. Really.
So there ya have it. I really don't wanna be that stick in the mud but I don't wanna be that mf inda drunk tank either. lol Can't afford that... ya'll wait til Imma rock star. :doggo:
If someone fucks up bring back the war stories and own them mfs. haha I will but not looking to.
Best
Lol....what is that by your last paragraph a dancing dog? 😄

What's fluetizolam like compared to the regular stuff @emkee_reinvented?

I've had tonight off everything and having a nice early night. Feels good.
They seem like different drug's, assuming that the vendor put's in these pellet's what they say. But its a trusted vendor. FluEtizolam is stronger on a mg to mg basis as the parent compound. And way more hypnotic/ sedativ with longer duration.

But they are both very good, for recreation and for sleep the Fluorinated version seem's better. Etizolam is very functional ime. Clobazam even more. You don't even notice you are on a Benzo wouldn't it be that it kill's anxiety and stops convulsion's. I wrote I don't have anxiety issue's but when I feel an seizure coming up I get very anxious.

Weird is that I have trouble fallin' a sleep in general even while taking Benzo's , this started after my first seizur. And I have very vivid dream's when I finally pass out, while literature say's benzodiazepinen disturb REM sleep. My dreams just get more mellow.

About 8 years ago I had about 18 months completely abstaining from booze. I spent a few months drinking after that but gave up for another 18 months completely. Since then I've had maybe 10 instances where I've drank for one day... ranging from just a few to far too many.

I'm doing well these days. So much better than those years where I would get wasted day after day after day. It was really holding me back

I've found when I tend to crave booze is when I'm dehydrated. Has been many years now of every day making sure I drink enough water. Its a struggle but so so important. Best of luck everyone 😊

how is everyone doing with their drinking?

i slipped up last friday and saturday. i had a clusterfuck involving incompetent dishwasher sellers, incompetent collaborators, and petty annoyance on here and my boyf had some equally bullshit shit going on so neither tried to responsibilibuddy the other out of drinking. but we are back on the wagon now and i've not been tempted until this eve when he suggested buying some beer but i told him no and didn't really give it much thought after.

it feels normal not to be drinking on a week night after work but friday is a bit harder.

i've been so stressed with work shit its caused stomach and sleeping problems so i'm not really getting to enjoy not feeling ill and exhausted, which was a big motivator for me for not drinking. but i know i'd be feeling way worse, and coping way worse, if i was drinking on top.