• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery The 2022 alcohol support thread

how is everyone doing with their drinking?

i slipped up last friday and saturday. i had a clusterfuck involving incompetent dishwasher sellers, incompetent collaborators, and petty annoyance on here and my boyf had some equally bullshit shit going on so neither tried to responsibilibuddy the other out of drinking. but we are back on the wagon now and i've not been tempted until this eve when he suggested buying some beer but i told him no and didn't really give it much thought after.

it feels normal not to be drinking on a week night after work but friday is a bit harder.

i've been so stressed with work shit its caused stomach and sleeping problems so i'm not really getting to enjoy not feeling ill and exhausted, which was a big motivator for me for not drinking. but i know i'd be feeling way worse, and coping way worse, if i was drinking on top.
Sorry to hear works exastrabating sobriety. Glad you are back on the wagon.

This weekend a friend wants to do some drinking games, I'm probably just not going to go because it sounds like a drag to be sober around that.

Been good so far.

Stay strong everybody else in the thread

I think Sunday was the last drink I had so I'm on day 5. Not bad at all for me. Had a slip with some zoppies and ended up fucking up my sleeping patterns. Ran out of those on Sunday too so last few night have been a bit restless. Feeling good though, done some painting in my flat and been working out more.
I really don't miss the peeve when I've been off it a bit.

This weekend a friend wants to do some drinking games, I'm probably just not going to go because it sounds like a drag to be sober around that.
That sounds like a nightmare! Lol
Only way I was able to stay in the bar I was in and it be worth it was because the music was good. I had to leave after my second cola though 😂 ...looking at the bar was a bit much and it started to feel like I was torturing myself lol. Went for a nice meal though so can't complain.

@chinup Fridays are always difficult for me too. We can do it just think of the hangovers lol 🙂

Hope everyone has a nice wknd

Last edited:
yeah being sober around drunk people is not fun!!

@iTry91 well done for not caving at the bar. i do think its important to still be able to carry on your social life, otherwise you lose some of the rewards of sobriety. but its hard when it puts you in situations like that. glad the meal was good!!

i am half craving. i think partly cos i resisted yesterday, i'm super tired cos i slept awfully, then i had an argument with my boyf and undermined my very valid points (i.e. actually do something about maintenence issues now we own a house, rather than wait for me to notice and do something, and fucking clean up after yourself) by calling him simple, low cos of feeling so ill all week and the general work situation. i tried going for a long-ish run this morning to sort my head out but my entire body started hurting. knowing that drinking cos i was in a bad mood wasn't enjoyable last friday is helping me resist. i haven't decided to drink, but nor have i fully decided not to.

after telling @Coffeeshroom not to nap in his thread, i am going to be a hypocrite and try to nap now. i just can't face being awake and bed time is too far away.

after telling @Coffeeshroom not to nap in his thread, i am going to be a hypocrite and try to nap now. i just can't face being awake and bed time is too far away.
Don't feel too bad about it, if your body and mind is tired and needs it then listen, plus for me I'm in a slightly different atmosphere or arrangement for myself. So don't worry about that, just look after yourself and that is what count's. I myself is fighting the urge to not sleep but only have an hr or two max to go then it's lala land for me too. Just gonna have to see what route I choose to take to have a proper nights rest but don't think it's gonna be a lot as my body and mind is already drained and nodding naturally as I'm watching some series.

But all the best and here for you if needed

Regards
CoffeeShroom

Got drunk last night after 2 weeks of not drinking. Decided to celebrate a great week, and now I don't know how I accepted hangovers every day for so long. I drank less than I normally would have, and pretty much lost most of today due to a ~7.5 out of level 10 hangover.

has everyone doing?

i drank 2 nights on the weekend, after resisting on friday. sunday i wouldn't have but my boyfs family were over and his mum brought us booze, she was an insane alcoholic, like the worst i personally have witnessed, but can now magically drink in moderation. woulda been fine if i'd not bought oranjeboom black after they left.

its my boyfs birthday tomorrow which is the official end of january in our house. i will drink. my general plan is to aim to never drink in the house. and given i hardly ever go out, that should not result in me drinking loads. i know i want complete abstinence really, but it seems like not enough to actually plan on complete abstinence. i will go to complete abstinence when (please!) i get pregnant cos its easier when i'm not doing something just for me. though i also am already overdue my period and even if it doesn't come by tomorrow i'll wait til after to do a test so that is definitely kinda fucked up.

have realised that there is a lot of bargaining in my relationship with booze. part of why i'm less enthusiastic is because i haven't got some of the things i wanted (i.e. on the list in my first post), stressed to fuck so sleeping awfully, been ill, so not feeling healthy and still being tired all the time just makes it feel less worth not drinking. this was actually exactly why i drank on saturday. i know i'd be worse if i was still drinking every night though.

not drinking has actually helped me not purge. i have only done it twice this year and both times was after drinking. so i guess i need to refocus on the positives and stop idealising my sober life.

also, it turns out that i'm still not the person i want to be sober. but now i've got the big negative out of the way the positive things i need to do to be the person i want to be are clearer. and i can't really do any of them and drink regularly.

Don't drink alcohol. It's the worst thing you can ever do to yourself really. On every corner every other store everywhere. Ignore it !!!! It's POISON ! I mean if you have to . . . smoke pot. REALLY.
Alcohol destroys KILLS maimes is bad for your body. And makes you utterly Stuupid. Oh did I mention its bad for your Health too. I don't even understand it. Just have one drink or two. That's it. But if you want to stop. DON'T HAVE ANY AT ALL. It kills innocent victims on the highway EVERYDAY so DON'T do it ?

!!!

In my honest opinion. I hate it. ☹

Ignore it !!!! It's POISON !
I wish it were that easy 😔 I absolutely hate the shit too and think it's a trash drug, but I get intense cravings as if it were heroin, even though I know it will make me feel like utter shit both physically and mentally... The cravings override all logic and reason.

The soul battles the brain in eternal conflict

m1A8Hrh.jpg

mauve red bull

think what you drink !!

I've been doing better. Went out and had drinks o er the weekend but haven't drank the last 2 nights and probably won't until the weekend again. If I can keep it at 1-2 times a week that's alright for now!

Take care, fellow piss-artists!