• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals Therapeutic and psychoactive plants for pain, mental health and recreation

fromuponpoppyhill

Bluelighter
Before I begin, please be gentle and kind with me. Today has been rough. I'd like to know of some psychoactive/therapeutic plants that may meet my needs. Please accept my sincerest apologies and move the thread if it's in the wrong place. Thank you.

I used to do a lot of street drugs for many years as a polydrug abuser and I did a lot of damage to my body. I was then in a horrible situation for as many years, where despite the challenges I faced I was at least blessed to find some degree of sobriety and now I can function better, hold down a job, etc.

I suffer from chronic muscle and joint pain, depression, anxiety and PTSD. I also have ADHD. I'm trying to find plants/funghi/etc that I can explore that may help me with the first 3.

In my hardcore using days (pre-PTSD) I found that my DOCs while addicted helped with some of these symptoms - PPT, ketamine, H, benzos and kratom mostly - but they definitely caused me more problems and I do not want to use them again. I've used various other psychedelic, opioid, benzo and dissociative drugs in the past.

I've been a daily THC user for 18 years bar a few days, weeks or months without it throughout that period. I use mushrooms when I can get them, they do help me with some things but I can't get hold of them right now. I take a nootropic blend, lion's mane, CBD and akuamma daily which also helps to a degree. I take atomoxetine for ADHD and that works well. I exercise frequently, eat well, drink plenty of water, I'm in therapy and my personal care is generally okay.

If anyone can advise me, or point me in the direction of resources where I might find examples of plants I may not have tried yet, that would help me a great deal. I am trying to prevent a K & H relapse, I desperately need some relief from the physical and emotional pain I am currently in, whether functional or recreational. In an ideal world, plants that closely mimic the attributes of my past DOCs would be what I'm looking for but that's a lofty aspiration. I'm open to a very wide range of suggestions.

Thank you for reading.

In the near future, I'm going to try out a couple of supposedly GABA-agonistic herbs – mulungu bark extract and magnolia bark extract. I think mulungu is also active at the AMPA and nicotinic receptors, while magnolia also serves as an SNRI and a cannabinoid agonist. I'll try to report back if they are of interest.

Also, I'm going to try finding an old bottle of valerian root capsules and try them out again, too. When I last tried it (a decade ago), my brain was fried on alcohol and benzos, so unsurprisingly I thought it was bunk. Maybe there's some other herbal product will turn up with it, like ashwaghanda or rhodiola.

I tried kava extract paste twice in the last 10 days, using the same dose under the same conditions (empty stomach + glass of whole milk). The first time, I got encouragingly strong effects; the second time, it was hardly perceptible. Next time, I'm going to raise the dose by at least 25% or so.

Last edited:
In the near future, I'm going to try out a couple of supposedly GABA-agonistic – mulungu bark extract and magnolia bark extract. I think mulungu is also active at the AMPA and nicotinic receptors, while magnolia also serves as an SNRI and a cannabinoid agonist. I'll try to report back if they are of interest.

Also, I'm going to try finding an old bottle of valerian root capsules and try them out again, too. When I last tried it (a decade ago), my brain was fried on alcohol and benzos, so unsurprisingly I thought it was bunk. Maybe there's some other herbal product will turn up with it, like ashwaghanda or rhodiola.

I tried kava extract paste twice in the last 10 days, using the same dose under the same conditions (empty stomach + glass of whole milk). The first time, I got encouragingly strong effects; the second time, it was hardly perceptible. Next time, I'm going to raise the dose by at least 25% or so.
This is awesome and exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Try out mono-floral Rosemary Honey, it contains 8-methoxy-kaempferol which releases b-endorphin. It actually works believe it or not, I’ve found it better than kratom.

This flavonoid will help with depression too, as it has MAOI properties.

-GC

In the near future, I'm going to try out a couple of supposedly GABA-agonistic herbs – mulungu bark extract and magnolia bark extract. I think mulungu is also active at the AMPA and nicotinic receptors, while magnolia also serves as an SNRI and a cannabinoid agonist. I'll try to report back if they are of interest.

Mulungu bark is amazing.

It put me to sleep and had no negative effect's, noticeable. Just put me to sleep and had me wake up refreshed.

Can you please put up up a report on your experience with Magnolia I am really curious about that.

Quite interesting from herbals theres some S.African herbs and roots.Never used em ,but I would like:african dream herb,Corynanthe rootbark,yohimbe like aphrodisiac.Never also tried Kava,which is also interesting to me.Blue lotus resin too.Theres a lot of herbs and mushrooms out there,which are quite effective for different ailments and most of them legal.

Try out mono-floral Rosemary Honey, it contains 8-methoxy-kaempferol which releases b-endorphin. It actually works believe it or not, I’ve found it better than kratom.

-GC
I think I've heard of this one before but just never tried it, am I correct in thinking it's weed-esque? Maybe I'm oversimplifying it but I'm sure it came up in a thread here.

Mulungu bark is amazing.

It put me to sleep and had no negative effect's, noticeable. Just put me to sleep and had me wake up refreshed.

Can you please put up up a report on your experience with Magnolia I am really curious about that.
Oh sweet. If I can get hold of some I'll give that a shot, I really have so much trouble staying asleep that I feel incredibly groggy in the mornings so that sounds awesome.

Quite interesting from herbals theres some S.African herbs and roots.Never used em ,but I would like:african dream herb,Corynanthe rootbark,yohimbe like aphrodisiac.Never also tried Kava,which is also interesting to me.Blue lotus resin too.Theres a lot of herbs and mushrooms out there,which are quite effective for different ailments and most of them legal.

The continent of Africa seems to have some beautiful and interesting plants so I'm really excited to learn more about these, thanks for the info. Would you believe I actually just made some blue lotus resin, the first time I've made my own extract. If it's any good I'll share here.

I think I've heard of this one before but just never tried it, am I correct in thinking it's weed-esque? Maybe I'm oversimplifying it but I'm sure it came up in a thread here.

Oh sweet. If I can get hold of some I'll give that a shot, I really have so much trouble staying asleep that I feel incredibly groggy in the mornings so that sounds awesome.

The continent of Africa seems to have some beautiful and interesting plants so I'm really excited to learn more about these, thanks for the info. Would you believe I actually just made some blue lotus resin, the first time I've made my own extract. If it's any good I'll share here.

My thread :) lol I know I gotta stroke me ego a lil bit.

I initially theorized it would be cannabis like but upon further experimentation and research it appears the effects are mediated by beta-endorphin release.

I actually had a hard time stopping my use for awhile it hit so well on the opioid receptors. These same compound/s while psychoactive also have potent anti cancer, anti inflammatory and other medicinal benefits. It was hard to stop knowing this thing that makes me feel good also is so good for me.

The one thing is this substance relies on our own endogenous system to work, one which may be compromised by past exogenous opioid usage. It’s stil in the experimentation stages but I highly suggest checking it out, at worst you have a good medicinal honey.

-GC

My thread :) lol I know I gotta stroke me ego a lil bit.

I initially theorized it would be cannabis like but upon further experimentation and research it appears the effects are mediated by beta-endorphin release.

I actually had a hard time stopping my use for awhile it hit so well on the opioid receptors. These same compound/s while psychoactive also have potent anti cancer, anti inflammatory and other medicinal benefits. It was hard to stop knowing this thing that makes me feel good also is so good for me.

The one thing is this substance relies on our own endogenous system to work, one which may be compromised by past exogenous opioid usage. It’s stil in the experimentation stages but I highly suggest checking it out, at worst you have a good medicinal honey.

-GC

Oh shit! Yeah I remember reading your thread on psychoactive honeys now, it was incredibly interesting. I'll look into it again and see if I can find it.

-GC
Really? better than kratom? but you mean when having tolerance, don't you?
there's no way of extracting that? I have diabetes type 1 and honey in psychoactive amounts would be poison to me...

Really? better than kratom? but you mean when having tolerance, don't you?
there's no way of extracting that? I have diabetes type 1 and honey in psychoactive amounts would be poison to me...

It may be possible to extract these flavonoids with a non polar solvent. Yea it did but I’m open to the idea I haven’t tried enough batches of kratom. Got some new stuff actually recently that’s supposed to be good..

I ran into the same problem with Rosemary Honey, it takes a tablespoon to really feel and that’s too much.

Euphorbia honey is stronger and initially feels good but the day after I feel horribly depressed.

Melipona Honey is the only one I’ve tried that was psychoactive in quantities that weren’t too much sugar IMO (1/4tsp to 2tsp depending on pollen content). It’s something special but not entirely super recreational. A lot like certain aspects of K but lasts much longer, I notice my vision is bright and blurry long into the next day.

-GC