• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

(thread of interest) Marijuana and Tobacco.

Congrats i made this an official thread of interest. You even get a fancy subtitle. But its because this is a very common discussion and worth of its own official thread instead of being lumped in the the cannabis combination mega thread.

Though as an american i enjoy my weed best in its purest form. If it is a bud from a named strain and not just some home grown or regular bud then it sac-religious to mix with tobacco.

But I do live in memphis and love to smoke a blunt, which is rolled in tobacco paper and i do like the added nicotine buzz and taste combo. But i always go for a good green leaf tobacco.

Here in Ontario it seems that half the smoking population mixes cigarette tobacco with their pot when smoking it in bongs. I am not down with that at all. It is disgusting, If I want, I will smoke a filtered cigarette AFTER I smoke my pot, or half way through. I have tried it and have never seen the point in mixing the two. It does not make it smoother, it doesn't get you higher (if you think it does you are kidding yourself) and it is pretty reckless. The people I know who mix every day for every session are seemingly helplessly addicted to pot lol. They will be careful with money but when they are out of pot they will buy anything for any price and they get very antsy about it. I think that cross-addiction is a definite possibility.

I think you could say it gets you higher. After taking a hit, the joint continues to burn whether the smoke is going into your lungs or not. If you get a joint with a mixture of tobacco and cannabis, then it is a mixture of cannabis and tobacco being wasted when not being inhaled, as opposed to just cannabis.

EDIT: Also, it helps it burn slower so you don't end up with (this is what they call it where I live) canoeing. You can tell this is true if you ever mix tobacco and cannabis unevenly you end up with some parts of the paper burning up faster than the rest.

I think you could say it gets you higher. After taking a hit, the joint continues to burn whether the smoke is going into your lungs or not. If you get a joint with a mixture of tobacco and cannabis, then it is a mixture of cannabis and tobacco being wasted when not being inhaled, as opposed to just cannabis.

Well this would be true but your overlooking the fact that because your mixing your weed with tobacco you end you with half the amount of weed you might smoke normally(give or take depending on how much you add). And you really cant control when the tobacco burns or the weed burns so...you might not be saving any weed at all. In fact im gonna go ahead and say that its more likely that you end up inhaling a smaller amount of cannabis over all when you mix it with tobacco which would give you less of a cannabis buzz.

But you do get a nicotine buzz. And you save weed in the long run.

i roll all my doobies as spliff(weed and tobaco) and smoke spliff bowls 98% of the time

I never mix my weed with tobbacco, and I smoke cigarettes. I really enjoy the taste of good weed, and I think it's much more pleasant on its own then if it was mixed with tobbacco. I usually will smoke a cigarette after I smoke a bowl or maybe an hour after, but it never changes the effects. For someone who doesn't smoke tobbacco, I could maybe seeing it add a little bit of of an effect but it wouldn't be worth taking away the flavor.

The only way I think I'd smoke weed and tobbacco at the same time (besides blunts) would be if I didn't have enough weed to roll a joint, and no piece around or supplies to make a piece (very unlikely). Even then though, it would be questionable and I would probably still prefer to roll a toothpick joint like in cheech and chong.

Actually now that I think, on vacation last summer I brought some hash oil and used to rub it on cigarettes at the beach but mostly because it was really convenient and I could smoke it in public without anyone knowing (Maybe a few potheads knew if they saw the oil streaked down the side or how it was burning funny, but I'm sure they didn't mind :p). I don't know if that counts because it wasn't me mixing flowers with tobbacco, but it's similiar I guess.

spinning your mix is considered the norm 'down under'. i hate cigarettes, i just don't get the point of them, there is no high, they stink, and they are expensive, however i always use tobacco in my mull...why, because it cools the smoke and gives a head rush when bonged.

Spun mull is so common in Aus that most people look at me funny when we're at my place having a sesh and I offer them a green bowl. I never even considered it until I moved in with an ex of mine and they always chopped and added tobacco. Now I do the same, mainly for the idea that it's stretching it a little further (I don't buy it very often anymore), and I only smoke green when I'm at home chilling.

And tobacco's still very cheap compared to weed down under too right? Its pretty normal almost everywhere to combine weed + tobacco because people want to save money and they mix well

And tobacco's still very cheap compared to weed down under too right? Its pretty normal almost everywhere to combine weed + tobacco because people want to save money and they mix well

You're looking at about 25% of the price of a quarter for a cheap pack of cigarettes. After looking at the price thread, we're getting raped on the price of weed here :(

Y'all need to buy guns and seeds, grow your own and make your own cartel! Thats not too harm preventiony sounding though, i take it back. But i mean, if enough people did it it would work. A lot of people would die, but it would work.

Spun mull is so common in Aus that most people look at me funny when we're at my place having a sesh and I offer them a green bowl.

fucking oath man, every stoner i meet... :/

Tobacco is only good when you've got little money and little bud.

I am an American and I actually used to spin before rolling a joint (for myself, not with friends).. I spent quite a bit of time in Europe, but before that I actually taught myself how to roll on the internet and apparently went to Dutch site. Anyways, I have quit smoking cigarettes but have recently began using cannabis again occasionally. When I found myself with some wax hash I purchased a pack of "herbal" cigarettes so I could provide myself with a base for my bowl. I am sure these would work well with joints as well. Basically its just a blend of a few herbs, I got a pack for maybe a buck fifty at most.

Anyways, as for the effects of cannabis and tobacco together. I have found that a cigarette or tobacco mix can make the initial high stronger, but that is not always a good thing. Especially when you are like me and have to watch dosages due to anxiety issues. Over time, I started to like the combination less and less. Part of the problem was however that the place I was living allowed me to smoke cigarettes but frowned on the more then very occasional cannabis use. Of course, I would often go out to have "a cigarette" and would also smoke a quick bowl. This obviously presented a problem the numerous times I quit cigarettes, as people would think I was smoking again and give me shit (as they should, ultimately cigarettes are bad for you). Also, I found that when you quit smoking cigarettes, it sometimes helps to at least give the herb a break for the first two or three days, because everytime I smoked cannabis I would start craving nicotine.

I'd definitely be in the minority, especially here in Aus - I like my weed, but refuse to smoke tobacco at all. If I'm offered mix I'm quite happy to have some, but tobacco leaves me with a raging headache for some reason. Not to mention that's one habit I really don't need. My mates seem to find it hilarious that I won't spin my weed, but I've noticed their mates from overseas always tend to take mine instead of the mix if I leave it around!

I used to frown upon the idea of mixing weed and tobacco, but after giving it a try I was fairly impressed. I seemed to get a bit of a stronger buzz. I don't do it regularly; it's rare that I even consider it. What are everyone else's thoughts?

To me after a few hits of weed a strong deeply inhaled hit of rolling tobacco levels out a slightly anxious weed high. I know you get racing heart flickering eyesight but it seems to inflate my ego. Grounded it feels and slightly sedating, hope it makes any sense.

I mix my weed with tobacco, have done for years whether I am smoking a spliff, pipe or a bong. I am from Australia where (in Melbourne atleast) mixing weed with tobacco is just the done thing, when I started smoking I actually resisted this idea and would typically only smoke straight green. As time went on and I would smoke with other people more often, I was consequentially forced to start smoking a mix every now and then, being a fairly broke stoner in High School I couldn't help notice that a little bit of tobacco does tend to make a stash go just a little bit further and so I adopted the practise.

I think there are a number of benefits to adding tobacco, for one it does spin out the stash a little further, it also makes the smoke smoother to inhale (this only applies if you are used to tobacco smoke obviously) and the nicotine buzz I find is a pleasant filler for the few minutes it takes for the weed to kick in properly. It also makes the weed burn a bit better, honestly if you are using a pipe or a bong then it doesn't make THAT much difference and you would have to be smoking wet shit to really need to add a cig to be able to punch a cone easily, but imho if you are rolling a spliff then it is plain wasteful not to add a bit of tobacco.

All that said, there are quite a few negatives associated with it. For starters, it is clearly a lot worse for your lungs to be smoking tobacco with your weed, tobacco is probably more harmful to the lungs than weed is and regardless of your opinion on that smoking both together is going to be worse than smoking either one on its own. It has a negative influence on taste, except in a joint, but particularly through a bong it can be pretty manky. I also believe that smoking a mix makes the practise of smoking cannabis notably more addictive, as you get addicted to the nicotine and associate the consumption of nicotine with the consumption of cannabis which reinforces your desire to habitually use cannabis. I find this to be particularly true when smoking a mix through bongs, as the headrush you get from tobacco in a bong can't really be replicated by just having a cigarette. I actually purchased an American style glass 'spoon' type pipe to try and reduce the amount of cannabis I smoke with tobacco, it is very pleasant to use but in the month I have had it I have honestly only bothered a handful of times... There is just something satisfying about smoking a mix that smoking straight green doesn't really fully satisfy my craving. It sucks and I hope to get away from it one day but for now I am stuck mixing with tobacco.

I would say on the whole that the negatives of smoking with tobacco outweigh the positives (unless you are talking about skinning up, I really feel the use of atleast a little tobacco is pretty much mandatory in this case), and there are probably a lot of current nicotine addicts who never would of become such if it weren't for the fact that habitual cannabis use during their broke, teenage years wasn't made more feasible/cheap by the addition of tobacco.

This how I got addicted to cigarettes. Once I was smoking tobacco every time I smoked cannabis (about 4 times a day) I just decided to start smokin cigs as it made the weed taste better. Not worth the extra 10 second buzz, just my .02

This how I got addicted to cigarettes.

I was thinking about this today..I ran out of cigarettes a couple of days ago but have been so busy with work and school that I didn't think much about it. The only thing I made time for was weed, as per usual. I didn't smoke weed today though, so I went and bought another pack of cigarettes to tide me over. I would certainly say that I am addicted to marijuana, but now I would consider myself borderline addicted to nicotine after chasing my hits with several drags for the past several weeks or so.

I can handle being addicted to marijuana; I know that if I truly, really had to (or wanted to) quit then I could. However cigarettes are a different story, they're low cost, they're available everywhere/legal, and all of my coworkers smoke. Combining the two of them is just a vicious cycle in my opinion, and it's taken me until now to fully realize it.