• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Tinnitus from VOC's (volatile organic compounds)?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
VOC's are lypophylic thus bind to neural pathways and apparently induce cochlear damage in some instances.

Does anyone have knowledge around this general area?

VOC's may be solvents, styrenes, paints etc.

Length of exposure for symptom emergence etc?

I believe this may affect glue and paints huffers?

VOC's seem to act to downregulate excitatory transmission (NMDA) and upregulate inhibitory transmission (GABA), thus light headedness, dissociated feeling etc.

I've had tinnitus for 25 years, since 7-8 years old.

there are soooo many causes and exacerbations to tinnitus I find it hard to believe anyone could narrowly blame VOCs for the cause, unless they had some majorly acute/toxic exposure to them. Their auditory hallucinations themselves sound a lot like tinnitus, but in an extreme way.

do you already have tinnitus? or are you asking if VOCs can cause them?

I could probably literally list 1000 different causes of tinnitus, there is no cure and they still do not truly understand it at all. It can be neurological, medications induced, complications from illness, stress, high blood pressure, hearing damage, drug toxicity, genetic, allergies/food exposure... I could go on.

I was born with it.

I've done glue/paint/duster... I hope you aren't asking because you want to try them. One word... DON'T. Whatever shitty high they provide is insepperable from brain damage. They are not fun drugs, feel very dirty, and leave you with a headache and feeling like you just got hit by a train.

I've never thought about it, but I imagine they could absolutely make tinnitus a lot worse, or give it to someone.

Last edited:
do you already have tinnitus? or are you asking if VOCs can cause them?

Don't have it already, asking if VOC's cause it.

It's either that or I got the covid booster around the same time I was exposed to VOC's - which was exactly when I developed symptoms.

mine just nearly stopped, think SSRI`s was the culprit...whew that was bad, worked in a paint booth( long time ago) , didnt always wear my respirator as well as i should have, never issue from fumes, but i sure bet you could acquire tinnitus, that was awful for meditation for me, a BL here have me hope and said id get more acclimated to it, or even go away

Last edited:
duster... I hope you aren't asking because you want to try them. One word... DON'T. Whatever shitty high they provide is insepperable from brain damage. They are not fun drugs, feel very dirty, and leave you with a headache and feeling like you just got hit by a train.
Duster is different than paint and glue and has different associated harms. It is 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoro ethane and functions as an anesthetic. However it sensitizes the heart to catecholamines, and can result in sudden death from heart attacks if a bunch of adrenaline happens to be released. It's a more kill ya quick type harm, as it lacks the brain and organ damaging effects of simpler solvents.

mine just nearly stopped, think SSRI`s was the culprit...whew that was bad, worked paint booth long , didnt always wear my respirator as well as i should have, never issue from fumes, but i sure bet you could acquire tinnitus, that was awful for meditation for me, a BL here have me hoe and said id get more acclimated to it, or even go away

So SSRI's caused it, or caused it to go away?

So SSRI's caused it, or caused it to go away?
I couldnt guarantee this info, just see correlations, seemed it got very high pitch and terribly noticeable, to a point i was very troubled and focused on it , cos it was higher than ever, while on SSRI, SARI, i learned things thru research and advices, but the last few days , its so much more manageable, erm, shockingly so, i am off the anti-depressants ( remembering time im bad at ) few months and really only took it for 3 weeks maybe, i dont why its near gone in comparison to what i suffered, but i feel it attributed it immensely, but perhaps it was a myriad of issues, as i said , i practiced a few techniques and grew a bit more accustom to it for lack of better words luv, but wow , its there still but so minable ,but YES i began alot of meds, trazadone, gabapentin, xanax, but when i stop the antidepressants i feel better in lots of ways, but YES! i feel it due to medications,celexa and buspar , do hope you you get relief

I was a dumb kid/ young teen who enjoyed playing with fire (not near where people lived dont worry) im certain we burned plastics and styrofoam etc along the way. I cant say i experienced any Tinnitis pre drugs/19 years old , i mainly noticed it after using Methoxetamine or it could have been from enjoying loud music at raves