• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Toluene... an antidepressant, and what's more...

Looking at this thread again while under the influence of toluene makes me realize just how significant its serotonergic effects seem to be

Funny how i never made the connection. I always thought of it as more of a dissociative/inebriant, like ethanol.. altho i suppose one could argue that small quantities of alcohol may have an anti-depressant effect in some people.. I've successfully used cannabis for years to combat anxiety, insomnia and depression as well.. Obviously, this wouldn't work for everyone

Anyhow, what this anti-depressant effect of toluene is, who knows.. I mean, i feel nice while i'm on it (a bit energized and warm all over, music is enhanced and it's easy to dissociate but there's no anxiety) and sometimes into the next day, but only if i keep dosing limited (4-5 hits every 2 months)... the more used, the more side-effects.. Unbelievably bad ones too. Think of a depression 10x worse than that caused by benzo w/d. Personally, this keeps me from abusing the stuff.. altho i've never felt any kind of desire to use it regularly

Needless to say, habitual inhalant use (i.e daily) ruins people. In no way am i promoting or trying to justify my own use of inhalants. Just contributing my experience to the pool of information

Last edited:
Toluene is no doubt psychoactive, i have accidently inhaled large amounts of vapor, even tasted it directly.............but I found it best nitrated, not injested............

Very interesting. I've been huffing toluene off and on for a couple years. Not proud of it but i don't crave it and actually do a session only like once every 2-3 months

As for effects, i find that it calms me down..like a tranquilizer. It also reduces my appetite and craving (for other substances)

oah shit why dont you huff dietyhlether instead? its not carcinogenic and also much fun ^^

Here's what happens if you huff toluene daily for years:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1736379/pdf/v066p00794.pdf

At admission, a vigorous postural tremor (5–6 Hz) which increased with voluntary movements was seen in the patient’s right hand. A tremor
was also present but less intense in his left hand. No tremor was present at rest. As a result, the tremor was not considered to be associated with either cogwheel rigidity, pyramidal signs, or cerebellar dysfunction. He had a mild cognitive dysfunction (verbal IQ 82, motor IQ 60, general IQ 69) and a mild dysarthria. The findings on EEG and the auditory brainstem response were
all normal. T1 Weighted MRI showed mild brain atrophy, whereas the T2 weighted images showed a marked decrease in the signal intensities
of the basal ganglia, red nucleus, and thalamus on both sides (figure A). As the patient’s tremor was slowly progressive, even after stopping toluene misuse, and the MRI suggested organic lesions bilaterally in the red nucleus, a
stereotactic Vim thalamotomy was thus planned

I don't know how dumb that guy was before he started huffing but probably the toluene abuse had something to do with that IQ of 69...

Yup, lesions are definitely a concern. That's why i was planning on seeing a neurologist about the olfactory hallucinations i get sometimes

Looking at this thread again while under the influence of toluene makes me realize just how significant its serotonergic effects seem to be

Funny how i never made the connection. I always thought of it as more of a dissociative/inebriant, like ethanol.. altho i suppose one could argue that small quantities of alcohol may have an anti-depressant effect in some people.. I've successfully used cannabis for years to combat anxiety, insomnia and depression as well.. Obviously, this wouldn't work for everyone

Anyhow, what this anti-depressant effect of toluene is, who knows.. I mean, i feel nice while i'm on it (a bit energized and warm all over, music is enhanced and it's easy to dissociate but there's no anxiety) and sometimes into the next day, but only if i keep dosing limited (4-5 hits every 2 months)... the more used, the more side-effects.. Unbelievably bad ones too. Think of a depression 10x worse than that caused by benzo w/d. Personally, this keeps me from abusing the stuff.. altho i've never felt any kind of desire to use it regularly

Needless to say, habitual inhalant use (i.e daily) ruins people. In no way am i promoting or trying to justify my own use of inhalants. Just contributing my experience to the pool of information

The depression would be a better option then the toluene in my opinion. You could literally drop dead of heart failure the next time you inhale that shit.

Have you tried everything else that can be used as a anti-depressant on label or off label? Tricyclics, MAOI's, SSRI's, SNRI's, bupropion, ketamine, scopolamine, tramadol, buprenorphine, etc. Anything would be better then huffing fucking toluene.

.............but I found it best nitrated, not injested............
AAAAhhhh hahahaha, good one!

*feels special for having understood what appears to be a chemistry inside-joke but really isn't*

;)

Cos I'm T.N.T.
I'm Dynamite
T.N.T.
And I'll win the fight
T.N.T.
I'm a power-load
T.N.T.
Watch me explode

The depression would be a better option then the toluene in my opinion. You could literally drop dead of heart failure the next time you inhale that shit.

Have you tried everything else that can be used as a anti-depressant on label or off label? Tricyclics, MAOI's, SSRI's, SNRI's, bupropion, ketamine, scopolamine, tramadol, buprenorphine, etc. Anything would be better then huffing fucking toluene.

I've tried several SSRIs, SNRIs and anti-psychotics over the years + a few tricyclics like trazodone and bupropion. They're worse than alcohol for me and i become suicidal within a week or two of use

Tramadol makes me depressed as well. I had very worrying side-effects while on all of these btw, including a complete nervous breakdown on my last SNRI (fluoxetine) in 08.. so no more psychiatric drugs for me after that :\

Unfortunately don't have access to buprenorphine or ketamine and never tried them

I've tried several SSRIs, SNRIs and anti-psychotics over the years + a few tricyclics like trazodone and bupropion. They're worse than alcohol for me and i become suicidal within a week or two of use

Tramadol makes me depressed as well. I had very worrying side-effects while on all of these btw, including a complete nervous breakdown on my last SNRI (fluoxetine) in 08.. so no more psychiatric drugs for me after that :\

Unfortunately don't have access to buprenorphine or ketamine and never tried them

Trazadone is not a tricyclic and neither is bupropion. Some common tricyclics are amitriptyline, doxepin and imipramine. Why not give MAOI's a try? I mean i would try parnate anyday over huffing that stuff.

This thread has really freaked me out.
From an early age I have huffed toluene (evo stick etc) in my darkest times and when I've been close to suicide and have experienced its antidepressant effects afterwards.
I have been using pure toluene recently and I have noticed extreme changes in my depression from bad to good. The initial intoxication is a dangerous high, but the longer lasting effecs have been "magical", and I've been inhaling daily for the last month in small doses and my life has made an incredible turnaround. for the better in regards to depression and mood.

I welcome anyone to contact me and discuss this further as I feel it's a breakthrough.

but the longer lasting effecs have been "magical"

if my memory serves me correctly the long-term effects of toluene exposure also includes stuff like peripheral & central nerve damage, liver damage, kidney damage etc. so it may actually not be a smart plan...

Effects of long-term exposure

Serious adverse behavioural effects are often associated with toluene abuse related to the deliberate inhalation of solvents.[22] Long-term toluene exposure is often associated with effects such as: psychoorganic syndrome;[23] visual evoked potential (VEP) abnormality;[23] toxic polyneuropathy, cerebellar, cognitive, and pyramidal dysfunctions;[22][23] optic atrophy; and brain lesions.[22]
The neurotoxic effects of long-term use (in particular repeated withdrawals) of toluene may cause postural tremors by upregulating GABA receptors within the cerebellar cortex.[22] Treatment with GABA agonists such as benzodiazepines provide some relief from toluene-induced tremor and ataxia.[22] An alternative to drug treatment is vim thalamotomy.[22] The tremors associated with toluene misuse do not seem to be a transient symptom, but an irreversible and progressive symptom which continues after solvent abuse has been discontinued.[22]

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluene_toxicity

Why necro this thread to give an anecdotal report encouraging inhalation of toluene as an antidepressant. In animals various neurotoxic agents produce antidepressant response (among many other horrid symptoms at time). You need to stop this asap and save yourself.. Depression may not be the underlying etiology..

From an early age I have huffed toluene (evo stick etc) in my darkest times and when I've been close to suicide and have experienced its antidepressant effects afterwards.
I have been using pure toluene recently and I have noticed extreme changes in my depression from bad to good. The initial intoxication is a dangerous high, but the longer lasting effecs have been "magical", and I've been inhaling daily for the last month in small doses and my life has made an incredible turnaround. for the better in regards to depression and mood.

I welcome anyone to contact me and discuss this further as I feel it's a breakthrough.

So I'm currently experiencing "magical" anti-depressant effects via dissociatives; there're way less damaging ways to get what you need pharmacologically, man!

ebola

I experienced magical antidepressant effects while abusing phencyclidine for several months. Then I got nerve damage.

Just because something feels good doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Why don't you just use ether instead?