Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

~ Truly a Wonder Drug ~ Memantine ~

cosmic charlie

Bluelight Crew
Ever since i began using this compound Memantine its benefited my life in so many ways, both with its therapeutic purposes and its recreational ability. To start off a little backround information, i have been an Opioid Addict for most of my life, over twenty years use of Narcotics. Well i got on Methadone a couple years ago and as time went by i escalated my dosage to 105mgs daily.

Well four months ago i decided i wanted to get off this stuff so i went about researching drugs that could help me in the process. One of the first things that came to my mind was Memantine, ive heard from a prominent and brilliant guy on one of the forums i frequent go on and on about how it eliminated his withdrawals. This obviously planted the seed.

So now i start to drop 5mgs per week and i get down to 40mgs without too much trouble but than that changes. I start to wake up everyday very sick and feeling like i got hit by a truck. Told them to halt my taper for the time being. Then it comes to me, find some Memantine and it could hopefully help i mean its worth a shot once it arrives in the mail i begin my taper once again.

Order my first couple boxes of tablets 120 of them that are 10mgs each. Begin taking two per day and within a couple days i notice a definite decrease in symptoms, like all of the classic ones and i feel right as rain. Now ive been going along and im down to 10mgs of Methadone a day and its been so much easier than before.

Im really grateful that i found this drug because i work full time at a physically demanding job, im a cook. And i dont think i would have been able to get through this without it and not needing time away from my job. Ontop of it has been really good antidepressant and when i take it i have noticeable reduction in symptoms from my bipolar and anxiety.

Now getting onto its recreational effects, i am a huge fan of Dissos and used pretty most of them that are available on the RC market at this point and the classic ones. Here is a list of what i have explores for perspective.

MXE
DMXE
MXiPr
MXPr
DCK
DXM
FXE
n2O
PCP
O-PCE
2F-DCK
Memantine
Ketamine
Ephenidine
3-MeO-PCP
3-MeO-PCE
3-HO-PCP
3-HO-PCE

Well that being said i find this Memantine to be incredibly unique and enjoyable, functional. The dosages i use to get loose so far have been 80-100mgs. It has this incredible euphoria for me that has me absolutely glowing all day and it makes me so happy. It has this sorta 4K like visual effects that makes everything look so fluid and beautiful. Personally i dont get traditional Dissos visuals as in the OEV/CEV type but its more like the entire world is changed into this hyper realistic clarity and seems to have more depth.

The duration is also fantastic IMO because i can dose it in the morning and be fully there for the entire day and still even feel effects the day after. It takes forever to kick in, but once your there its straight bliss and i can even function at my job fine or out and about with my girlfriend. Ive had alot of success using it in combo with GHB as well and when i do both at the same time it puts me straight into god mode and the sex me and my girl have is completely mindblowing.

Well i just wanted to put out my findings after using this stuff for awhile. My usual dosage is 20mgs a day but every once in awhile i like to do a bigger one like i mentioned just as a little treat, plan on doing a combo this month of n2O, Memantine and GHB and im expecting that to be wonderful. Hope somebody out there finds this post useful, this is certainly a versatile compound and a welcome addition to the stash.

Last edited:
I used memantine to get through kratom withdrawls once. I had a 100g/day habit.

I forget how much memantine I used (it was years ago) but I took a recreational dose and was so high from the memantine the whole withdrawal was painless. I enjoyed the buzz and didn't notice the withdrawls at all.

Its really such a good tool for opioid withrawals and should gain wide spread acceptance in the medical field. Ive never had a comfort med work to this level, im so glad i stocked up on it cuz i have enough to last many months if i take 20mgs perday, with the occasional higher dose trip thrown in the mix.

Well shit, idk how I missed this, been on opiates for 12 years, methadone for the last 8. Sounds like I need this in my life, eh?

Yes, you should absolutely give it a shot.

The main purpose of me making this thread is to help further spread awareness of its miraculous effects in regards to opioid use cessation. Its something that literally needs to be shouted from the rooftops.

Thanks for the report, Charlie, and I'm glad it's working so well for you. Memantine is a very atypical dissociative, very clean, NMDA antagonism and also about as much dopamine agonism, and it seems to largely leave your coordination and speech intact. I haven't tried it above 20mg yet. At 20mg I find it helps take the edge off withdrawal, but I keep hearing that at much higher doses it will entirely block withdrawal. It also supposedly helps to reset tolerance to both stimulants and opioids.

Some people dislike the feeling from it, but I like it, personally. I also notice an antidepressant effect, like you do.

All in all, a nice drug. Interestingly, it's used to help treat Alzheimer's, where it helps people to keep ahold of their memories for longer and avoid sliding into dementia. I'm not sure what doses are used for that.

Thanks for the report, Charlie, and I'm glad it's working so well for you. Memantine is a very atypical dissociative, very clean, NMDA antagonism and also about as much dopamine agonism, and it seems to largely leave your coordination and speech intact. I haven't tried it above 20mg yet. At 20mg I find it helps take the edge off withdrawal, but I keep hearing that at much higher doses it will entirely block withdrawal. It also supposedly helps to reset tolerance to both stimulants and opioids.

Some people dislike the feeling from it, but I like it, personally. I also notice an antidepressant effect, like you do.

All in all, a nice drug. Interestingly, it's used to help treat Alzheimer's, where it helps people to keep ahold of their memories for longer and avoid sliding into dementia. I'm not sure what doses are used for that.

Believe that they make 5mg and 10mg tablets for people with Alzheimer's. When i stopped taking it for about a week for comparisons sake i was absolutely sick from the Methadone detox. Then since i began taking it once more five days ago symptoms are now completely gone.

When i come off the Methadone completely i will probably fly on higher daily doses for the first month just to be safe like maybe 40mgs daily or something like that. Expect to be in a constant state of dissociation with that regimen most likely. And then the second month lowering it to 20mgs a day once more.

I used memantine to get off a 120mg/d morphine habit (before I was even on 600mg/d and tapered with pregabalin first), don't fully remember what dosages and how many of them I used but the process was far more flawless then one or I would have thought. A few megadoses - I had pre-existing, high tolerance to dissociatives so I won't post my dosages but they ware above 100mg - were all it needed and then lower dosages for their D2 agonistic effect to cover PAWS. The only real side effect besides some threshold dissociative effects like drifting with eyes closed was insomnia, and that one sucked because not even 30mg mirtazapine caused the slightest sedation during my course of high dose memantine. Was up one night, then sleeping a few hours during the day when tiredness took its toll, then stay up again another night etc. it would be beneficial to separate these effects, to have a non-dopaminergic memantine (well, straight NMDA antagonists also cause insomnia but less intense than memantine) and a pure D2 agonist. I tried pramipexole for the PAWS and it partially worked but just a bit, first dosages made me tired and then the effects were mostly gone but I think it might be a good aid for opioid withdrawal akathisia and dopamine agonists have been proven to lower opioid withdrawal intensity.

Glad to see that more people get to know about the beneficial effects of dissociatives and specially memantine. Hope this doesn't backfire sooner or later and result in scheduling of the drug. And hope doctors learn about it as well and will prescribe it more readily. One is allowed to dream in the end.

But note that even in PubMed papers (which, in regards to human trials, usually are rather conservative dose-wise) they used an acute dosage of 60mg. This is necessary because both memantine has a multiple day long half life which means that daily dosing will cumulate, as well as that it's aided at the elderly who probably require less of any/most drugs due to slowed metabolism. With these 60mg they achieved a partial tolerance reduction against methadone and I think it's a good starting dose.

But low dose also attenuated part of methadone dosage:

Man, I'm really glad you're liking it, Charlie! I gave it a three month trial run and never could get it to work for me as an antidepressant or cognitive enhancer. The first few days left me feeling a little wonky, which was to be expected. Then the next few days, it would feel like a gentle uplifting cloud with the tiniest hint of euphoria. Then it would turn into a blunting fog again, which I did not care for.

I tried all kinds of staggered dosing schedules to try to dial it in, but it just vent) wasn't for me I guess

Do people who’ve tried this drug feel it performs better than say Ketamine for opioid cravings?

-GC

Do people who’ve tried this drug feel it performs better than say Ketamine for opioid cravings?

-GC
For opioid withdrawal definitely, because of the long half life and clear-headedness of memantine. For cravings ketamine might be better because it can be taken on an as-needed basis and hits instantly when dosed through the nose. (This might lead to problems in the long run though as ketamine is addictive itself). Also it's remarkable that even ketamine does work against opioid tolerance good enough for people on maintenance to go with a lower dosage.

Note that when they say low dosage it usually refers to lower than an anesthetic dose, not in regards to recreational ones (afaik).

I can attest to the daily benefit of memantine and the use in opiate withdrawal is excellent. I am currently kicking a 15 year, 8mg suboxone "habit", and started dosing memantine a month or so leading up to kicking. I then upped my dose and added some freebase DXM in low doses and together, really helped my depression as well the withdrawals. I unfortunately ran out of memantine, and sort of forgot about it, but reading this post reminds me I need to get another batch, and I am still detoxing but now realizing how helpful the Mem really was. I have yet to try high doses, I've tried maybe 40mg or so, but am going to start with higher doses to finish off this long, hellish withdrawal. FWIW, adding a little DXM (90-120mg) to the mix seemed to really amplify the positive effects of the memantine.

Four days ago i made the jump completly off Methadone. On day one i took 120mgs and began tripping and just kept myself busy, on the second day i took 140mgs and continued to have a strong effect but was still able to sleep that night and had no withdrawal symptoms. On the third day i took 160mgs and and continued tripping now all day, not sick but a residual stimulation set in and i couldnt sleep all night long.

So on the fourth day i didnt take anything and i spent the dsy in bed just resting maybe slept for an hour in the afternoon but i was out of it. At about 11pm i feel asleep and the woke up at 4:30am. Im in definite opioid withdrawals right now but its not severe as it normal would be for sure.

Decided to take 50mgs right now just to see how that helps, i have to try and conserve the tablets i have left. Especially because of the fact that Methadone Withdrawal takes so long to get passed. So far it has been going well tho, im gonna check back into this thread and update ot as time goes by.

Just saw the doctor and they are gonna give me 4mgs of Buprenorphine on either monday or tuesday. So im gonna have to ride this out for the weekend, just took some more Memantine bringing my total today to 100mgs, just gonna stay with that and hopefully it works out. Thankfully i have plenty left and i dont have to go back to work till the 11th so it should be okay.

They are 10mg tablets, you dont start truly tripping until you pass the 80mg mark probably. Right now im on 100mgs and that is pretty chill im having a really good day. It feel more like a cross between DXM/3-MeO-PCE to me more so than like ketamine. But way less bodyload issues than DXM has, its actually a really cool drug.

I d probably still take it once im awhile just for kicks after all this is over, the duration tho is a motherfucker. Youll feel an onset a couple hours after you eat it but it take about five to truly peak and then your off for a couple days, literally. It has really incredible effect on music for me like most dissociatives ive used, like where it sounds like the best thing you've ever heard.

Interesting. I'm glad you are having success with this and thanks for sharing! It looks like this is a non controlled substance, but rx only in the US and I'm having trouble finding what penalties are for possession of non controlled substances if any. I may need this very soon. Anyone know the legalities of possessing this without a prescription?

They will just take it from you if they even do that. Its not illegal to have in the US, my blister packs are in Russian so they will deff be like wtf does this dude have in his bag. But if they tried to charge me with something it would 100% not stick. And honestly those people can go fuck themselves and im really not concerned at all. Just dont bring it out of your house if your really that worried.

As far as having it sent in the mail it isnt scheduled so you wont get charged but they may send you a love letter and ask for you to come declare the package and provide the prescription etc. But all this is almost never gonna happen, ive been ordering drugs online for two decades and never had a real issue *knock on wood* once or twice things never arrived but thats it.

They will just take it from you if they even do that. Its not illegal to have in the US, my blister packs are in Russian so they will deff be like wtf does this dude have in his bag. But if they tried to charge me with something it would 100% not stick. And honestly those people can go fuck themselves and im really not concerned at all. Just dont bring it out of your house if your really that worried.

As far as having it sent in the mail it isnt scheduled so you wont get charged but they may send you a love letter and ask for you to come declare the package and provide the prescription etc. But all this is almost never gonna happen, ive been ordering drugs online for two decades and never had a real issue *knock on wood* once or twice things never arrived but thats it.
Thank you for the info! I'm doing some more research into it and I am glad I've come across this post! I feel like I've heard the name memantine before, but never for opioid withdrawal. I never knew it has dissociative properties either. Sounds pretty nice.

So what are thoughts on this for using at a show in conjunction with say low to moderate amounts of alcohol, caffeine, Amphetamine.

Is it recreational enough for that?

-GC