• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

[TV Thread] What's worth watching ATM? v. now it's 2024

It's all fuckin shit!!

As a fan of '24 Hour Party People' which famously saw the perfect casting of 'the second biggest cunt to come out of Manchester (Coogan) play the biggest cunt to ever come of of Manchester (Wilson)', I love the introduction to the club owner (played by Paul Kay / Kaye - a mediocre stand up who's comic excellence was used for once in Winterbottoms film) who's venue sees the birth of Factory. Despite being a household name across the Granada broadcast region, Coogan's Tony Wilson attempts to impress Kay's club landlord with his local celebrity status, only to be put in his place by this second Tony, who impresses on Wilson his disdain for television.

TONY 2 "You know what I call it - the idiot box (turns around from closing the till while winking at Wilson)....the idiot box"

TONY WILSON "Er, yeh, there's alot of rubbish on".

My attempt to relate how funny I find this exchange is without a doubt lost in translation, but God if I almost burst my fucking shit just thinking about it.

Of course, neither of these self deprecating figures are even close to being the biggest cunts to come out of Manchester. Not to blow anyones high but the biggest cunt of this nature is that cod eyed grenade throwing fuck Dale Cregan. I am not fan of the Police but Nicola Hughes was just a fucking kid and her and Fiona Bone did not deserve that shit. Fucking coward.

Anyway, back OT there are loads of programs I want to recommend, its just that they are all, as Foobz alluded to, products of the Idiot Box..... the Idiot Box....

As a fan of '24 Hour Party People'
That was such a good film, really brought the whole scene to life.

There is a lot of dross on TV, but also so much choice of potentially decent or interesting stuff that it can be overwhelming at times in trying to pick a new box set to try, as it sometimes feels like it requires a major investment of time and energy.

Especially when working I don't always have the energy for that in the evenings. I've picked up and dropped many boxsets due to not been able to get into them for one reason or another.

Probably not going to make that investment unless it's generally rated among the best of all time.

I've been out of work for some time of late, and have had the opportunity to try again with Game Of Thrones, which was so good it's going to be a hard act to follow.

I've eventually settled on re-watching Dexter, as it's been well over 10 years since I first watched it.

I remembered a lot of the first season as a large parts of it are unforgettable, but I cant remember much of any of the 2nd season so far, so it's almost as good as watching it for the first time.

Pacing seems to get talked about a lot for TV Boxsets, and I can see why as so many of them do go through slow episodes.

Not Dexter though, the pace is amazing.

I was so hooked by the first season on first watching that I stayed up all night to watch all 12 episodes in 1 sitting.

Last edited:
The only current TV series that I watch is Ben Fogle's New Lives In The Wild. At the same time I've been interested in The Slab "The Last Free Place In America"? for quite a while.

I just discovered a couple of nights ago that the 2 things have finally intersected, and Ben Fogle has quite recently done an episode on a guy living at The Slab in his excellent long running series.

I don't know if he was waiting for a sufficiently interesting or admirable character living at The Slab to feature an epiosde on, but he certainly found one in DNA.

Very moving episode. Highly recommended for anyone interested in alternative lifestyles (as is the whole series in general.)

Has anyone watched the American adaptation of Shameless?

I did like the British original, and I see that the American version is also highly acclaimed and well reviewed.

I'll probably check it out, as nothing to lose by downloading the first season.

Apparently Turkey and Russia have also done their own versions of the show. I'd imagine that a Russian version of Frank Gallagher would be hilarious and well worth watching just to see that.

Most TV is garbage on purpose, hollywood is a joke.

I reccomend:

The Wire (remastered)
The shield (remastered)

I wish we could post torrent links, but I get why not.

The Expanse got way better than I expected once S3 came around.

Although I can't help but feel this entire series could be squished into like 3 Star Trek episodes. There is really not much going on, just a lot of filler and a lot of conflict. But I do like the universe. The Belter culture is especially cool.

WHY DO THE MARTIANS ALL HAVE AMERICAN ACCENTS THOUGH? How did they not develop their own accents and culture? There are no Martian words whatsoever, they are space fascists with no unique identity besides terraforming Mars. Very disappointed by this because I do like the universe a lot.

<3
9RDLOpf.jpeg

The Expanse got way better than I expected once S3 came around.

Although I can't help but feel this entire series could be squished into like 3 Star Trek episodes. There is really not much going on, just a lot of filler and a lot of conflict. But I do like the universe. The Belter culture is especially cool.

WHY DO THE MARTIANS ALL HAVE AMERICAN ACCENTS THOUGH? How did they not develop their own accents and culture? There are no Martian words whatsoever, they are space fascists with no unique identity besides terraforming Mars. Very disappointed by this because I do like the universe a lot.
The books are way, way better.