• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Vasculitis and adhd meds

permatrip

Greenlighter
Heya!

About a year ago I was diagnosed with a rare form of vasculitis ( polyarteris nodosa) to be exact and was recently diagnosed with adhd.

So my question is there anybody who has vasculitis and also takes adhd medication? I'm not 100% sure what my psychiatrist is going to prescribe but he was talking about ritalin or vyanese so most likely will be something like that.

I will obviously be speaking to my rheumatologist about this in my next appointment but just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had to deal with this.

Cheers

Doesnt vasculitis get aggravated with stimulants? I think I read that but I've been reading all day,

I have neuropathy, and I might need to read about vasculitis, I am only assuming 😬 a vascular problem that shrink blood flow to nerve endings, but thanks for the information and let me know if this is vaguely close or completely wrong I seek knowlege humbly

Heya!

About a year ago I was diagnosed with a rare form of vasculitis ( polyarteris nodosa) to be exact and was recently diagnosed with adhd.

So my question is there anybody who has vasculitis and also takes adhd medication? I'm not 100% sure what my psychiatrist is going to prescribe but he was talking about ritalin or vyanese so most likely will be something like that.

I will obviously be speaking to my rheumatologist about this in my next appointment but just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had to deal with this.

Cheers
I don't know about your condition but I think people with certain cardiac conditions (such as hypertension, dysrhythmias, etc.) take prescription stimulants alongside other heart medications like beta-blockers. And AFAIK, studies show significant benefits of using beta-blockers in the context of active stimulant use. Beta-blockers (and mixed alpha- and beta-blockers) are also used in stimulant poisoning.

But a few clinicians are hesitant to prescribe a beta-blocker alongside prescription stimulants due to "unopposed alpha stimulation" (although due evidence for unopposed alpha stimulation when taking beta-blockers with active stimulant usage is lacking). Some doctors just call the supposed unopposed alpha stimulation when taking them together as "textbook medical dogma": https://litfl.com/beta-blockers-for-cocaine-and-other-stimulant-toxicity/

My general belief is that people with prescription stimulants (like myself) will eventually take their usual ADHD stimulant medications alongside beta-blockers when they get old (since our body starts to deteriorate as we age). I still think it's generally "safe" to take stimulants alongside beta-blockers when we age (since the benefits are well-established). But since you mentioned you already have a heart condition, taking stimulants is risky, and you should constantly monitor for any adverse cardiac symptoms. You should talk with your doctors, and both your psychiatrist and cardiologist should be aware that you're taking heart medication and stimulants.

Or maybe you could try non-stimulants for your ADHD. I assume you've met your psychiatrist by now? (since you wrote this on Jan 23).