• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Dante's Die göttliche Komödie/Divine Comedy,
but it's all written in Fraktur, guess that's Gothic print in English?

856946_bigpicture_299438_on-2021-02-24-14h42m08s748.jpg

I got a super old copy from work, doesn't look half as young as this one :ROFLMAO:
My print is from 1911

"Denial of Death" by Ernest Becker.
Definitely one of the greatest books I have ever read, all categories and genres. I keep coming back to it, filling the pages with notes and dog ears.

"Denial of Death" by Ernest Becker.
Definitely one of the greatest books I have ever read, all categories and genres. I keep coming back to it, filling the pages with notes and dog ears.
Gonna add that one to my hundreds-long to-read list. Thank you for the recommendation!
At this rate (if I do it in order) I'll get to it by ... 2026!
EDIT:
It was already on there.

Although I did not share my father's intense aversion to ugliness -- which often led us to associate with stupid people -- I did feel vaguely uncomfortable in the presence of anyone completely devoid of physical charm. Their resignation to the fact that they were unattractive seemed to me somehow indecent. For what are we looking for if not to please?

About half way through The Joke is Over by Steadman.. enjoying it so far.. but it’s turning a little bitter against Thomson.

Although I did not share my father's intense aversion to ugliness -- which often led us to associate with stupid people -- I did feel vaguely uncomfortable in the presence of anyone completely devoid of physical charm. Their resignation to the fact that they were unattractive seemed to me somehow indecent. For what are we looking for if not to please?

I used to (not through prejudice or judgement in any way) feel really uncomfortable around extremely unattractive or deformed or anything like that. Partially because I had severe depression and was already convinced everyone was always suffering, too, just less than I was, so I couldn't imagine how much people like that were suffering. So I volunteered on the paediatric burns ward at my local hospital. I mean, I did cry in secret, but then I got to learn how brave and amazing these kids were and started seeing them as beautiful.