• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Audio Book: Just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (3/10). I know it's super-popular but OMG was I bored as hell with this. I happened to be listening to it as an audiobook (it's free on youtube) so listened to it at double speed* and it was still a chore to get through. There were a few chapters near the end I liked but mostly this was just boring. I also disliked the protagonist enough that I didn't really give a fuck how it ended for him.

Physical Book: Currently reading Prey Drive by Wrath James White and LOVE IT. It's a sequel to Succulent Prey and as much as I enjoyed that (8/10), I like this one even more so far.

Kindle: Just finished Piercing by Ryu Murakami this morning and it's probably my favourite of the three books of his I have read now (the others being Audition and In the Miso Soup) 7/10
And now reading a short story collection by Edward Lee, Brain Cheese Buffet.

*I normally listen to audiobooks at x 1.5 speed anyway because I find the narrator always reads them WAY too slowly, to the point of being extremely frustrating.

Does anyone uses Audible here? I was thinking about a subscription, but it is quite expensive and I don't really know if it would be good choice for the long run.
What platform/app/subscriptions you use/have to listen to audio books? And what do you think about them?
So far I only tried Spotify, and I really like it. They have a student discount what you can use for 3 years (If I remember correctly) for 2.49 euro, and a family pack for 6 account costing around 8 euros. The music is more prominent than the books of course, but you can still find some gems (Nothing too new, mostly classics but with a surprisingly big variation).

Does anyone uses Audible here? I was thinking about a subscription, but it is quite expensive and I don't really know if it would be good choice for the long run.
What platform/app/subscriptions you use/have to listen to audio books? And what do you think about them?
So far I only tried Spotify, and I really like it. They have a student discount what you can use for 3 years (If I remember correctly) for 2.49 euro, and a family pack for 6 account costing around 8 euros. The music is more prominent than the books of course, but you can still find some gems (Nothing too new, mostly classics but with a surprisingly big variation).

I don't do/have audible, but a LOT of audiobooks are available (for free) on YouTube.

Finished Prey Drive (Wrath James White). Really loved it. Like, you know when you're kinda sad you finished the book because you want more? That. Crossing my fingers for a sequel. 7.5/10

Finished Night by Elie Wiesel (full audiobook free on Youtube). I enjoyed it. Actually found it quite moving. Has anybody read the sequels? Any good? 6/10

I have an audible account.. I love it. I have 317 titles in my library and a fuck ton of time on since 2020

Last edited:
I've never met anybody who's read Naked Lunch all the way through. Maybe that's because the crowd I hang out with isn't that intellectually stimulating

You can't go wrong with Junky and Queer.
I read Naked Lunch twice. Didn't make any more sense the second time, but it's a fun read nevertheless. Junky is OK. Haven't read anything else by him.

Currently reading Bad Dog, a collection of short stories by Tom Piccirilli.

I'm also reading my monthly issue of The Sun magazine (not to be confused with the British tabloid)...it's published in Chapel Hill, NC and contains nonfiction, fiction, and B&W photography. Also contains zero ads.
Excellent magazine.

I read Naked Lunch twice. Didn't make any more sense the second time, but it's a fun read nevertheless. Junky is OK. Haven't read anything else by him.

Currently reading Bad Dog, a collection of short stories by Tom Piccirilli.

That's kind of the point with Naked Lunch. It's about a man whose drug use is so heavy that he comes completely disjointed from any sense of reality.
If you liked Junky, the sequel, Queer, is also pretty good.