what did you want to be as a child? and do you still have the same ambition now?

When I was a kid I watched Flash Gordon in the Movies and wanted to be like Dr Zarkov.

I ended up helping design many new scientific, computing and medical devices that are right out of Flash Gordon, (plus spent time in the video game industry) so it all worked out pretty good.

I wanted to be a doctor or astronaut.

I'm still pursuing the doctor part. No idea if I'll ever make it, but I'm still chipping away at it. Certainly closer now than I was 3 years ago. It's not the intellectual grit that I lack but wondering if the brutality of med school is really suited to wounded-healer types. My child self certainly didn't know that the medical industry is cut throat, he thought doctors were generally very nice people.

At the same time I spend many days with the impression that I'll probably be dead sooner than later... so I guess any extra time feels like a blessing.

Nothing. I never thought of defining myself or my life in terms of a particular type of job or work function. I still don't.

Not a realistic goal but I thought being Batman would have been a cool job. I did apply, but I'm not filthy rich and my parents didn't tragically die in a street-mugging, so my application was rejected. They did offer me the Robin position, but I have some dignity...

I wanted to be paleontologists, archeologists or baseball player. What that meant was that I liked Dinosaurs, The movie "Indiana Jones" and the picture of the guy holding a bat on the box of crappy cereal my dad ate.

Not a realistic goal but I thought being Batman would have been a cool job. I did apply, but I'm not filthy rich and my parents didn't tragically die in a street-mugging, so my application was rejected. They did offer me the Robin position, but I have some dignity...
Always felt robin didn't fit in for some reason. You got this twisted, gothic setup and then Peter Pan shows up all of a sudden.

Always felt robin didn't fit in for some reason. You got this twisted, gothic setup and then Peter Pan shows up all of a sudden.
Yeah true, the bright yellow cape isn't the best choice of clothing to back-up a man who likes to sneak around in black.

I'm no expert on comics, but I think Robin was an orphan so Batman took him under his wing? Seems a bit irresponsible to take a kid out on nigthtime vigilante missions though lol.

I wanted to be an oceanographer or professional fisherman.

I ran into my third grade teacher a few years back, she asked if I ever followed my dreams of becoming a professional fisherman.

I literally watched her head explode when I told her I was in fact a professional fisherman/charter/commercial captain. Haha. Shit made me laugh. She also said I was the first student of hers from that young of an age that she had talked to that followed through on their long term goals. From third fucking grade. It’s kinda blowing my head apart thinking about it now.

Stay good y’all
Always, fair winds and following seas

I wanted to be an oceanographer or professional fisherman.

I ran into my third grade teacher a few years back, she asked if I ever followed my dreams of becoming a professional fisherman.

I literally watched her head explode when I told her I was in fact a professional fisherman/charter/commercial captain. Haha. Shit made me laugh. She also said I was the first student of hers from that young of an age that she had talked to that followed through on their long term goals. From third fucking grade. It’s kinda blowing my head apart thinking about it now.

Stay good y’all
So, despite 'throwing away' much of your life as you've said elsewhere due to being a druggie, you realized your childhood dream. That's not bad going, in the balance.

So, despite 'throwing away' much of your life as you've said elsewhere due to being a druggie, you realized your childhood dream. That's not bad going, in the balance.

I guess. I was very driven from a young age. I had my captains license before I graduated high school. And my 100 ton masters+ a few endorsements by the time I was 20. I bought my boat right around then. It was shortly thereafter I started with the opiates full time. I made a lot of money for being pretty much a kid.
Which I attribute to a lot of the drug use. The boat and my early career is literally the only thing I’ve managed to hang onto. Couldn’t let the boat go, cuz, ya know, gotta pay for that habit.

Stay good y’all

When I was young? Engineer. Less young? Neuropsychopharmacologist. Working on grad school for the second one now, I became the first one in undergrad

I wanted to be a doctor or astronaut.

I'm still pursuing the doctor part. No idea if I'll ever make it, but I'm still chipping away at it. Certainly closer now than I was 3 years ago. It's not the intellectual grit that I lack but wondering if the brutality of med school is really suited to wounded-healer types. My child self certainly didn't know that the medical industry is cut throat, he thought doctors were generally very nice people.

At the same time I spend many days with the impression that I'll probably be dead sooner than later... so I guess any extra time feels like a blessing.
Be aware that you will be studying around 12-16/6 to get through med school. It's nothing like undergrad. If you have the determination and time you can definitely do it but just getting into med school is super tough, they want impressive CVs and having bio research experience in your undergrad will help. They also want super high GPAs

Last edited:
Wanted to be an astronaut or a beekeeper. Would still hella get down w some bees. Astronaut….. well it’s not happening. I’d love to see space but shoulda been born 5 generations from now for that space trucker job.
You can still be a space trucker if you play star citizen

Wanted to be a jockey. I'm a speed freak, I'm ultra-competitive and I love horses. That job was made for me. Learnt to ride at 10 yrs of age and my trainer said I was a natural. This is also the one profession where me being a short-arse is a literal advantage, instead of something to be constantly mocked for.
But just my luck I have a congenital hormone imbalance that led to me developing gynaecomastia in my teens. Being spat at and humiliated as a 'tit freak' in the school locker room was quite enough ; I decided I didn't need a more polite, barely-concealed sniggers type repeat in a jockey's locker room. Was only able to get surgical intervention for the problem when I was 18, and the racing stables don't take apprentices beyond 15 years of age. So my one single dream and ambition was screwed due to an accident of birth. I lost that race before even making it to the start.

Be aware that you will be studying around 12-16/6 to get through med school. It's nothing like undergrad. If you have the determination and time you can definitely do it but just getting into med school is super tough, they want impressive CVs and having bio research experience in your undergrad will help. They also want super high GPAs

Thanks I know, though some of what you said is not accurate.

Did you do med school?