• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What is jail really like?

forgotten said:
That's incorrect. The FL Statutes provide that a "court imposing a sentence shall allow a defendant credit for all of the time she or he spent in the county jail before sentence" [Florida Statutes § 921.161(1) (2008)]. Now, it is possible that a defendant would be required to waive his/her credit for time served as part of a plea agreement, but that would be voluntary.

Whether the statutes state that or not, its a fucking crock. You will most likely NOT get credit for any time served prior to your arraignment. Experience it for yourself and you'll realize its a fucking laugh. As stated in my Legal Discussion thread, you'll be lucky if the county even acknowledges it. JUST BECAUSE ITS UNDERSTOOD AS THE LAW DOES NOT MEAN THAT'S THE WAY IT ACTUALLY GOES DOWN.

This referencing of the statutes and such reminds me of an episode of American Justice I saw on A&E recently. This guy was arrested and charged with sexual assault and murder in St. Louis, Missouri in 1991. He confessed and eventually executed. BUT, if you watch the episode and listen to the recording, it sounds like his confession was coerced. The words he used were not those of a 23 year old. They were the words of a police officer. The day after his arrest he filed a police brutality complaint claiming his confession was beaten (literally) out of him. And who investigated this complaint? Internal Affairs of course. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHA! It was no surprise that IA found no evidence of police brutality. And before you say that his police brutality claim convinced me that his confession was coerced, they played the recording before saying anything about the police brutality claim. I highly recommend you watch that episode. Not only was his confession questionable, but the case was riddled with holes. And the last time I checked, there can be no reasonable doubt in death sentencing cases. Here is the Wiki on Marlin Gray: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Gray

But the point of that paragraph is, who polices the police? Internal Affairs is a division of the police department. While its understood that there is animosity between IA and the rest of the department, they all still play for the same team, so to speak. And again, concerning the law and statutes, most prisoners cannot afford adequate representation to prove their innocence, which leads to many of them accepting shitty plea agreements after being threatened with serious maximum sentences.

Last edited:
2oclockbeanfiend.2 said:
Whether the statutes state that or not, its a fucking crock. You will most likely NOT get credit for any time served prior to your arraignment. Experience it for yourself and you'll realize its a fucking laugh. As stated in my Legal Discussion thread, you'll be lucky if the county even acknowledges it. JUST BECAUSE ITS UNDERSTOOD AS THE LAW DOES NOT MEAN THAT'S THE WAY IT ACTUALLY GOES DOWN.

This referencing of the statutes and such reminds me of an episode of American Justice I saw on A&E recently. This guy was arrested and charged with sexual assault and murder in St. Louis, Missouri in 1991. He confessed and eventually executed. BUT, if you watch the episode and listen to the recording, it sounds like his confession was coerced. The words he used were not those of a 23 year old. They were the words of a police officer. The day after his arrest he filed a police brutality complaint claiming his confession was beaten (literally) out of him. And who investigated this complaint? Internal Affairs of course. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHA! It was no surprise that IA found no evidence of police brutality. And before you say that his police brutality claim convinced me that his confession was coerced, they played the recording before saying anything about the police brutality claim. I highly recommend you watch that episode. Not only was his confession questionable, but the case was riddled with holes. And the last time I checked, there can be no reasonable doubt in death sentencing cases. Here is the Wiki on Marlin Gray: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Gray

But the point of that paragraph is, who polices the police? Internal Affairs is a division of the police department. While its understood that there is animosity between IA and the rest of the department, they all still play for the same team, so to speak. And again, concerning the law and statutes, most prisoners cannot afford adequate representation to prove their innocence, which leads to many of them accepting shitty plea agreements after being threatened with serious maximum sentences.

In FL you get all of your county time. When you get sentenced they might say 24 months with 120 days time served. That means you only have 20 months left to do. They could give you day for day which means you dont get any good time. Most of the time they do that for laws that have a mandatory minimum sentance like 3 yrs for trafficking.

2oclockbeanfiend.2 said:
i read sentencings all day long at my job, and time served is on ALL of them. and it isn't from arraignment, it is from the date of arrest. you need to chill homie, don't get so petulant from a disagreement. especially when you are pretty far off in reality....at least, in my state. i am not a law enforcement officer, i am not a lawyer, but i think i have seen more sentencing than you have and there is a running theme among them, and that is time served. overcrowding is a bitch. :\

Jail sucks.

I was in county jail for 7 days a couple months ago. It was actually quite a learning experience; lots of time to think and the realization that there are a lot of seriously fucked-up people in the world and my problems are actually rather insignificant compared to some. The boredom and the incessant fucking noise are the worst aspects, IMO.

@lterEgo said:
if i were ever incarcerated for an extended amount of time i'd probably be one of those people who hang themselves in their cell.

Agreed. If I ever go to jail/prison for a longtime, I would take my life. Fuck it.

I think I have plenty of experience in this matter, and will tell you again that you are completely wrong.

DarthMom said:
you need to chill homie, don't get so petulant from a disagreement. especially when you are pretty far off in reality

Are you fucking kidding me? The reality is that it does happen. You are the one that needs to come to terms with the reality of the issue.

forgotten said:
I think I have plenty of experience in this matter, and will tell you again that you are completely wrong.

How can I be wrong? Just how the FUCK is that possible? I experienced this first-hand. Have you? And I'm not talking about just any old jail. I'm talking specifically about Broward County, Florida. You need to not make definitive statements about shit you may not actually know.

The only thing I can think of that would make you think you dont get time served in county is if you are sentenced to probation.
Bottom line if you are sentenced to do time in the st of FL you will get your county time taken of off your sentence. If you go to prison than you lose your gain time from jail. You still get everyday that you were physically incarcerated.

If there is no miscomunication than you are the only person I have ever heard had that happen to him. Sorry about your luck.

How can I be wrong? Just how the FUCK is that possible? I experienced this first-hand. Have you? And I'm not talking about just any old jail. I'm talking specifically about Broward County, Florida. You need to not make definitive statements about shit you may not actually know.

Felonies in FL are prosecuted in the circuit courts, which all adhere to the same standards (Fla. Statutes and Fla. Rules of Criminal Procedure). I experience this first-hand every single day. I have spent more time in a FL courtroom in the past week than you have in your entire life.

I'm not even going to argue this point any more. I've provided the relevant laws, and you've provided anecdotal evidence and conjecture.

Chill out a bit 2oclockbeanfiend.2, this is just a thread.

Listen, what forgotten and DarthMom are implying is that I am lying. You tell me I'm lying about shit I've actually gone through, especially involving the justice system, I'm going to get upset. I don't care how many days you've spent ON THE OTHER SIDE of an FL courtroom. I'm telling you what happened to me personally. Not a story I heard. Not some shit I read on the internet. The fact that YOU are unable to accept that is the problem.

Definition of: threaded discussion

A running commentary of messages between two or more people in a discussion group. See message thread and discussion group.

It means that if this thread or any thread is upsetting you, then you should just step away from the computer for a while.

Other people in this thread are only sharing stories of what they know prison or jail to be like and are not accusing you of lying. It's different for every one.

Last edited:
2oclock, i am not implying you are lying, i just was showing that your perception isn't reality.

the past few nights while working, i was thinking of you while looking at the necessary sentencings. every last one was a sentence with a set time CTS/time served. every. last. one. that includes doc, not just county... :\

you aren't a liar, just remember that your experiences aren't everyones.

I was basically in solitary confinement for about 22 hours of my 24 hour stay. I was in an open/barred holding cell for the first two hours, or so. As soon as I started to get to sleep, there, they woke me up and moved me into a fully closed room, huge metal door, as well as bars. I awoke not long after, thinking a lot more time had passed, than really had.

No clocks.

I asked for a Bible, and got a cop drama called "Easy Prey". Lights stayed on. Metal toilet/sink. I was the only one in the room.

After many attempts at sleep, and trying to stay asleep, I started pacing around in a circle.. screaming, singing, acting psycho... Did pushups.

I would much rather be homeless. I can't imagine being in solitary for any more time than I've experienced. I guess I can imagine it would suck, even worse.

The final 8 or so hours of my 24 hour stay were a little easier, as the guard on duty kept the huge metal door open. It made it easier, hearing more open air, hearing conversations, hearing laughter, occasionally. I'm pretty sure he had compassion on me, and the other guys were just assholes. But that could be their system.

As soon as I got out, and got to my car to drive home.. I just felt free. I saw my cat, who I'd been neglecting- somewhat, at the time.. was always preoccupied. I guess you don't realize how good you have it until you lose it, yea.

Jail would just totally screw up my life. I'd rather be homeless.

My experience was a lock-up for a drug charge (pot) and I was bailed out before having to be processed into the population. I imagine population would be easier than what I went through those 24 hours.