Career Advice What is your Trade?

Mostly custom interior / exterior walls & ceiling finishes

finish carpentry

and a bunch of years managing a couple bars / pubs
I bet you didn't just wake up one day and know how to do wood/finishing work. That shit can be hard (getting it to look good). Is it something you just kind of picked up while doing remodeling/construction work?

I'm a disablity support worker. I hang out with other autistic people. Currently have 3 clients, an 11 year old, 17 year old, 26 year old. All male.
interested to know, in another thread you said " I literally require 1-1 prompting or full assistance with regard to any and all activities of daily living. I am unable to survive independently. I exist because of my support workers" and "I need one to one support with every single daily living activity - medication, showering, dressing in clean clothes, eating every meal, tidying my apartment, washing my dishes, socially interacting with a group of people."

how is it that you are able to work with such severe needs yourself? like, do your support workers go with you when you're going to work as a support worker?

i think its great when people who have actual experience of certain issues go on to help people with those same issues i'm just not sure how it would work in this case when your own autism impairs you to the extent you describe.

Isn't that tree trimming? One day you are chain sawing limbs, the next you are a horticulturist professor, you can tell by the gurth of his chain.

I think tree trimming is arborist, horticulture is more like coming up with a blight-resistant strain of tomaters but usually it's code for growing herb :weedleaf:

@Mr. Krinkle does grow some veggies though IIRC...

Reactions: Ds
your trade is typing? i need this trade as i currently have to speak to people whilst typing and that ruins the fun.
i type progams that analyse biological data.

if you give me a load of A/T/G/Cs then i will try and guess what it is and if we care about them. come over to science and technology if you are interested in learning about bioinformatics/biotechnology.

it is actually loads of fun. i love programming and really detailed data analysis and i'm naturally quite adept at it. but its also difficult, which is why i like it, but it really is looking for needles in haystacks so sometimes it gets a bit demoralising.

for the most part, i don't have to talk to people. and when i do have to talk to people, they are usually peers not upper management/people i can't have an interesting conversation with. at interview i told my employers i can't cope with a lot of meetings and i can't cope with having my plans changed on the day, and also that i wouldn't be coming to the office. it is the first time i've advocated for myself ahead of time, explained the limitations i have due to autism, and they 100% respected it and work with me to support me in being productive.

interested to know, in another thread you said " I literally require 1-1 prompting or full assistance with regard to any and all activities of daily living. I am unable to survive independently. I exist because of my support workers" and "I need one to one support with every single daily living activity - medication, showering, dressing in clean clothes, eating every meal, tidying my apartment, washing my dishes, socially interacting with a group of people."

how is it that you are able to work with such severe needs yourself? like, do your support workers go with you when you're going to work as a support worker?

i think its great when people who have actual experience of certain issues go on to help people with those same issues i'm just not sure how it would work in this case when your own autism impairs you to the extent you describe.

There's really no reason to bring your obsessive vendetta against me into the public.

If you can type, I can hang out on a couch in silence playing animal crossing with my 11 year old kid I hang out with and my support workers just drive me there and home. These are not mutually exclusive activities. The support they provide in fact enables me to work the meagre 10 hours I do. None of the activities you listed that I need help with prevent me from colouring in with my client lol. In fact I picked clients specifically because I can do it with my disabilities. As my client pointed out when I got to his house and told him that apparently I can't work with him anymore because I need help showering, eating, taking meds, doing dishes 'well that's ridiculous, we give you dinner here and you don't shower or take your meds or do the dishes while you're here. You just sit with me while I talk about my music stuff or play card games'

Here's the thing. Like I said, I get paid to hang out with people who are basically my friends. Saying I can't do that is like saying I can't have friends because I need help with all of those skills and like the disagreement thread you got that information from, shows a distinct lack of understanding of autism beyond your own experience. I have a client who has support 8:30am-9:00pm and is able to work. My job is actually taking the bus to his work with him and sitting there while he does his job. It's barely work.

I know others with more support than I who work as much as if not more than I do.

Please refrain from commenting on something you lack understanding of.

You want I can redact all my personal information from my massive government funding package and my 25 page functional capacity assessment which details exactly the type of assistance I need? Maybe my payslips too. Seems excessive, no one but you seems to think I need to prove every aspect of my life publically, so maybe you could just do the right thing and not interact with me just like you literally said you would. You said you can't even read what I write - so don't. Ignore it. But instead you're following me round on posts like you're waiting for an opportunity to catch me in a lie. It won't happen. Your time would be better served engaging in useful activities.

Last edited:
i type progams that analyse biological data.

if you give me a load of A/T/G/Cs then i will try and guess what it is and if we care about them. come over to science and technology if you are interested in learning about bioinformatics/biotechnology.

it is actually loads of fun. i love programming and really detailed data analysis and i'm naturally quite adept at it. but its also difficult, which is why i like it, but it really is looking for needles in haystacks so sometimes it gets a bit demoralising.

for the most part, i don't have to talk to people. and when i do have to talk to people, they are usually peers not upper management/people i can't have an interesting conversation with. at interview i told my employers i can't cope with a lot of meetings and i can't cope with having my plans changed on the day, and also that i wouldn't be coming to the office. it is the first time i've advocated for myself ahead of time, explained the limitations i have due to autism, and they 100% respected it and work with me to support me in being productive.
How does one enter this field?

How does one enter this field?
either via computing of some sort, which is what i did, or via biosciences.

but people who don't care that much about computer science don't make good bioinformaticians imo- they don't write good code, don't understand complexity theory, quality assurance doesn't exist. they are probably OK to run pipelines in a hospital or something where the work is routine but research jobs, less so. equally, they could say people who don't know about biology don't make good bioinformaticians, and i'd have to admit that there are times when knowing the minimum amount of biology required to do a job competently is limiting.

there are a lot of masters programs, online resources, like rosalind:

or you can just geek out for fun watching viral evolution in almost real time (and trying to forget people are dying):

I believe I am a jack of many trades, and do just good enough to not get shit canned (except for once, from goddamn Safeway at that, which was bullshit).

I can install your home cable & internet, service your home security systems, manage a restaurant, weed/plant/garden, oriental rug cleaning services and delivery, driving all over hells half acre to deliver whatever tf y'all fatties finna munch on, build the required infrastructure and install the fiber/copper cabling needed to maintain the internet superhighways in data centers (you're welcome btw), as well as wire office buildings and furnitures. Goddamn I've even wired an entire metro station, have even had to pull cable through a CVS during business hours downtown (annoying).

I am quite adept at strings, both rhythm/bass and lead/melody's, and writing lyrics. Just suck at producing and have yet to find the Lennon to my McCartney. I wish I could say this was my trade, as it is my dream, either that or acting, but I'm stuck in reality.

Have been known to have a pretty potent right hook, and I have also managed to perfect the exact angle and placement needed to make the ladies scream expletives.

I'd like to think if I wasn't born a penniless orphan with no material resources I could probably be pretty damn successful, but it's probably partially due to my own laziness and spastic mental state.

I'm honestly probably forgetting some I've had so many fucking jobs.

Got any skills?
If so, whatcha know?

I've always wanted to be a coal miner, went and got MSHA certified, 2 weeks later I was taking an elevator 45 minutes, near half a mile down, to run cabling.

Not sure if you ever played chess/checkers,mine was made so airflow can not let us die.

Worked there doing that job, until one of the mines in AL collapsed. Nope

So coal miner, cable laying lineman.

Now I climb 40 foot poles daily and or throw a rope like a weapon.

-_-_ college dropout,bc of 'stuff'.

What can you do?

I’m a professional mattress actress (retired lol)
10 years experience as a stripper
Astrology expert
Professional Henny smacker

I believe I am a jack of many trades, and do just good enough to not get shit canned (except for once, from goddamn Safeway at that, which was bullshit).

I can install your home cable & internet, service your home security systems, manage a restaurant, weed/plant/garden, oriental rug cleaning services and delivery, driving all over hells half acre to deliver whatever tf y'all fatties finna munch on, build the required infrastructure and install the fiber/copper cabling needed to maintain the internet superhighways in data centers (you're welcome btw), as well as wire office buildings and furnitures. Goddamn I've even wired an entire metro station, have even had to pull cable through a CVS during business hours downtown (annoying).

I am quite adept at strings, both rhythm/bass and lead/melody's, and writing lyrics. Just suck at producing and have yet to find the Lennon to my McCartney. I wish I could say this was my trade, as it is my dream, either that or acting, but I'm stuck in reality.

Have been known to have a pretty potent right hook, and I have also managed to perfect the exact angle and placement needed to make the ladies scream expletives.

I'd like to think if I wasn't born a penniless orphan with no material resources I could probably be pretty damn successful, but it's probably partially due to my own laziness and spastic mental state.

I'm honestly probably forgetting some I've had so many fucking jobs.
I so freakin' wish you were my next door neighbor. So many things that I find hard to do alone and no decent handyman guys in the area. So it goes undone or I try and do a half ass job by myself. Living alone has its perks and it's drawbacks.

I so freakin' wish you were my next door neighbor. So many things that I find hard to do alone and no decent handyman guys in the area. So it goes undone or I try and do a half ass job by myself. Living alone has its perks and it's drawbacks.
Well dangit maybe one day when I make it big and own some land I'll get ya a cottage setup. That would be cool to own a bit of land, enough for like a couple houses and barns.

Shit, maybe there's some website where people like you that need random misc bullshit done that I could try to do nearby as a job. I'm sure there is, just not sure what it is ATM. Angie's list or some shit or taskrabbit

25 years of piano, 18 years of guitar, singing all my life. very important for work
work in therapy, mostly musical, behavioural, cognitive, and occupational
solid medical knowledge, focus on social-behavioural though.

other job is my company, microgreens, in charge of production(pre-corona), now mostly IT stuff & design, advertisement,
sometimes going into town to help out for a week or two.
meaning.. I know a shitload about plants

also work in languages online, mostly inter-business communication. speak German & English fluently, Spanish and Italian are close.
have some knowledge of Latin, but mostly through the other languages. Speak French well-enough also, some bcuz of school,
but I sucked at it back then, mostly because I lived in a bus travelling through Europe for a long time.

i'm an astrophysics nut, I watch every single lecture by my favorite prof. also love particle physics, something he also teaches.
my dad is a programmer, so i have acquired some knowledge of different programming languages over time, but very basic in comparison to him.

other than that I have a passable grounding in general knowledge.