Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not big into Russian cinema, so this was one of my first forays into it. It was well made, well plotted, and although the ending is kind of predictable, it was still good enough to have me searching for more Russian sci-fi.

3.5/5

Ehh it was alright I suppose. Just like an urban legend that kills the teens that uncover it. Still have to see the sequel though so that’s up next.

Titane It's a French language body horror about a girl named who Alexa who as a child got in a car accident and had a titanium plate inserted in her skull and then begins to develop an affection for cars over people. As an adult she she works as a showgirl and is also serial killer. After being exposed she escapes goes on a rather interesting journey but don't want to say too much and spoil it. I enjoy it allot and like the direction it went in; it wasn't too overly graphic.

titane-movie-review-2021.jpeg

👍👍
I had this movie saved from when you posted this, excellent film and I enjoyed it a lot.

I've always want to see this im a cronberg fan
Spider, from my recollection was a great movie. Definitely worth a rewatch, for me.

Saw 'The Brood', before Xmas, past.
Some great actors.
Good show, 70's - so, has the horror-corn but if you like Cronenberg, you'll prob like it.
Interesting to read it's related to Cronenbergs experience re. his battle to retain his children, post divorce, where his wife joined a cult with them.

Just seen this in the cinema - absolutely loved it.

Oh good to hear... been looking forward to this - at least, out of curiosity.

Morgan.(2016)

Great cast.
Great tale re. ethical dilemmas and AI; Genetics - general life foibles etc
Really worth a watch.

Just finished Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

The original cast appear for what feels like about five minutes.

This is a half-decent Ghostbusters reboot. It's not a sequel, unfortunately. They rehash the same plot from the old films.

It feels so claustrophobic for every franchise to only exist as a reference to the past.

It's also another one of those films that passes on the torch to a new generation. Indiana Jones is rumoured to be attempting that again with Phoebe Waller-Bridge after failing with Shia LaBeouf.

There's a lot of pandering fan service.

A character in the film says "Who you gonna call?" for no good reason. It kind of works, but I'm tired of meta. I want to feel involved in the story.

The kid actors are good, but they're replacing vintage Dank Aykroyd and Bill Murray. Paul Rudd does his best.

The film never rises to the library scene from the original and it literally recreates everything else from the first film.

Why does the new Star Wars have to be about another death star and the new Ghostbusters have to be about Gozer and Zuul again?

Can't they think of any new ideas?

I liked this film, somewhat. I also didn't hate the female Ghostbusters. It wasn't a great film, but it had some moments.

Ghostbusters > Ghostbusters 2 >> Afterlife > Mrs. Ghostbuster

Spider, from my recollection was a great movie. Definitely worth a rewatch, for me.

Saw 'The Brood', before Xmas, past.
Some great actors.
Good show, 70's - so, has the horror-corn but if you like Cronenberg, you'll prob like it.
Interesting to read it's related to Cronenbergs experience re. his battle to retain his children, post divorce, where his wife joined a cult with them.

The brood is sick, one of the first cronberg flix if seen, haven't seen it in years deff creepy I've seen his non body horror ones to history of violence, and just seen Eastern promises, it was a great mafia type crime movie about human trafficking

The Hunt/Jagten (2012)

This was a hard film to watch. A man down on his luck finally sees some hope when he gets news he will regain custody of his teenaged son, and meets a woman who brings some spice to his life... well, until his best friend's daughter, a 6 year old, starts to become infatuated with him. He's kind to her, the way any adult should be to a child, and walks her to school when her parents are fighting. Lucas (Mads Mikkelsen) works at the kindergarten she attends and eventually she tries to give him a valentine and smacks him with a kiss when some of the boys are wrestling him to the ground. When Lucas understandably rejects Clara (the 6 year old) in so many words, Clara gets it into her mind that she wants to hurt Lucas... so she tells the kindergarten head teacher that Lucas showed her his genitals...

The head kindergarten lady blows it way out of proportion, insists she believes children as, "The children never lie!" and as the film marches on the accusations become worse, even bigger lies, branching to other kids to the point where every person in this small town thinks this man molested their child.

You can imagine the fallout, the sheer primal anger that the townsfolk visit upon Lucas. It's sickening... he holds it together as best he can, knowing he's innocent and not wanting to stir the pot... but the townsfolk push him, harder and harder, robbing him of his whole life in essence. Even once he is acquitted of the crime (all children recalled his 'basement'... he didn't have a basement) no one forgives him. They ban him from the grocer, beat him mercilessly, kill his dog, ruin his chances of custody for his son... the works. The ending was golden, so apt... the shooter could have been anyone for all we know, and I'm certain that's the point; once a lie like that becomes truth in a herd mentality, it cannot be undone.

A very powerful social commentary film, which I'd place aside greats like 12 Angry Men. Why do parents believe their children when they lie? How are we to know when we're putting words in their mouths vs when they've truly been hurt? These are issues society will be dealing with for the rest of time.

8.5/10

Matrix Resurrections.

I don't know what this film is. It's bizarre, but not in a Matrix way. It confuses me what it's trying to say and how it feels about itself. Is this a film that doesn't want to exist? If so, cry me a fucking river. Maybe: don't take the money if you don't want to make a film?

The new characters are all shit. Doogie Howser is a one trick pony. The actor plays himself in everything. God knows how anyone thought for a second that he could replace Jim Carrey as Lemony Snicket.

I kind of liked how confusing the film was, but (by the end of the film) the plot clearly made no sense. Yet another example of a film that makes no effort to justify itself. I have so many questions, I don't know where to begin... and I also don't care at all.

I disregard certain sequels.

There is one Matrix film as far as I'm concerned. It's called The Matrix.

I also don't consider National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure canon.

Jagten

courtesy of Cream. i stopped reading your review once i got to “become infatuated with him” so that i could watch it without knowing more. did not take long to realize this was not going to be a movie about obsession.

a sub-genre of thriller. scenarios that are designed to drive the viewer mad at escalating injustice. is a decent iteration. i was frustrated.

that’s not how lifelong friends would handle the situation nor how parents would interact with their daughter. they been living with that kid for 6 years. they take the principal’s word over their kid’s, which makes no sense; it’s about what their kid is saying so how is what their kid is saying not trump. and how is he not asking his best friend what the fuck happened. it’s not like all the sudden you’d be more interested in what a bunch of strangers are saying they heard happened between two people you know through and through. you’d be talking to the two people you know. i mean they stole apples together. figuring out what actually happened would have been that dad’s top priority. instead he just kinda stands around everywhere with a weird look so you can’t tell if his eyes are open or not.

movie presents women in a terrible light. bunch of conniving gossips looking for drama and crucification.

best scene is him carrying her over the tile floor so she doesn’t have to step on the cracks. thats what i thought i was going to be watching. instead it was a Straw Dogs tense thriller.

never reject a gift.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.