• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Why is MDMA cut with cocaine?

Mcracken420

Bluelighter
I have heard about ecstasy and molly being cut with cocaine. Why would dealers cut MDMA with another expensive drug like cocaine? Also, any tips for harm reduction with hard pressed ecstasy?

Must be an American thing , the only cut in MDMA and its pretty rare these days is amphetamine; This is in the Netherlands

Must be an American thing , the only cut in MDMA and its pretty rare these days is amphetamine; This is in the Netherlands
Makes sense; I guess it's about what's available regionally. I still don't get it though seeing as cocaine is expense and amphetamine is cheap and makes sense to use as a cut.

This is just a stab at guessing.

There's a well-established thread still running (just) on why so much MDMA is terribly lacking the qualities it was once known to have. Potency seems to be one of the issues - it just doesn't seem to take you as far into the typical effects that the "old" stuff did some years ago. Could it be that a small amount of cocaine gives an early rush that convinces an inexperienced user that they have the "real" thing? (although I have read that coke doesn't do very much when taken orally however I know lots of people who snort MDMA so that using that ROA would gain benefit from any coke)

Or it could be a sales pitch - you just 'heard' about it.

And if it was found to be true in some cases (or even lots as you allude to) a small mark up on the cost of MDMA could easily accommodate a small amount of cocaine I would have thought.

Could it be that a small amount of cocaine gives an early rush that convinces an inexperienced user that they have the "real" thing? (although I have read that coke doesn't do very much when taken orally however I know lots of people who snort MDMA so that using that ROA would gain benefit from any coke)
Coke binds to SERT with more affinity than MDMA (ie it kicks MDMA off of the SERT receptor).
This prevents you from rolling because it makes MDMA unable to release Serotonin.

Thanks Phobos. That would presumably mean that snorting would suffer the same fate. So yes, the received wisdom on this site seems to be that coke just ruins the MDMA experience.

Thanks Phobos. That would presumably mean that snorting would suffer the same fate. So yes, the received wisdom on this site seems to be that coke just ruins the MDMA experience.
Yeah I wonder why. I have seen lab results on drugdata.org that show MDMA cut with cocaine. It could be a marketing ploy, but I have never personally seen molly being advertised as containing coke.

It's gonna be a rare cut for sure. Most places cocaine costs a whole lot more than mdma per gram so it makes no sense.

This only makes sense in Colombia or some other cocaine producing country and even then it's pretty questionable as to why anyone would try premixing these two drugs.

Yeah I wonder why. I have seen lab results on drugdata.org that show MDMA cut with cocaine. It could be a marketing ploy, but I have never personally seen molly being advertised as containing coke.

Go back and read a bit more closely.

What you'll see is that in cases where MDMA tablets lab results show cocaine it will denote "trace". This doesn't mean it is cut with cocaine. It means it was perhaps stored in a bag that had once had cocaine on it, or packaged near cocaine, or handled by someone with cocaine on their fingers. It is unintentional and is not a cut, and will not be present in an amount to alter anything.

Thus the real answer to your question of "why is cocaine added as a cut to MDMA?" is: it isn't.

Drugs are formulated by people trying to make money, so there is no incentive for someone to add an expensive drug like cocaine to an MDMA tablet only to make their produce less effective. I'm sure it's happened but it is rare. Where you are more likely to see it happen is with randomly formulated powder mixtures, like the pink drug blend known as "tuci", which is often made but some seriously dumb people and uneducated people that just blend whatever they have around (like a kid who is playing chemist and is mixing magic portions with stuff they find in their garage).

Go back and read a bit more closely.

What you'll see is that in cases where MDMA tablets lab results show cocaine it will denote "trace". This doesn't mean it is cut with cocaine. It means it was perhaps stored in a bag that had once had cocaine on it, or packaged near cocaine, or handled by someone with cocaine on their fingers. It is unintentional and is not a cut, and will not be present in an amount to alter anything.

Thus the real answer to your question of "why is cocaine added as a cut to MDMA?" is: it isn't.

Drugs are formulated by people trying to make money, so there is no incentive for someone to add an expensive drug like cocaine to an MDMA tablet only to make their produce less effective. I'm sure it's happened but it is rare. Where you are more likely to see it happen is with randomly formulated powder mixtures, like the pink drug blend known as "tuci", which is often made but some seriously dumb people and uneducated people that just blend whatever they have around (like a kid who is playing chemist and is mixing magic portions with stuff they find in their garage).
That could be it, and the examples I've seen could have been flukes, so I suppose it's not a cut at all

I have heard about ecstasy and molly being cut with cocaine. Why would dealers cut MDMA with another expensive drug like cocaine? Also, any tips for harm reduction with hard pressed ecstasy?
I was around when MDMA, MDA & MDEA were legal. Some batches were more "up" than others. Even back then people referred to coke or hermon base

I think cutting with cocaine would be expensive for the dealers. Don't know why they would do that

Are we sure it's coke? Some other compounds give false-positives if the Scott test is used. Many examples but ketamine, diphenhydramine, lidocaine & even 'bath salts (cathinones) give the same colour sequence. So do some benzos. I won't sit and work out a comprehensive list, but it seems that an ⭕ (oxygen with lone-pairs) with 2 methylene spacers and then an amine :N (nitrogen with lone-pair) is the pattern. It seems that 2 atoms with lone-pairs separated by 2 methylenes is the most basic rule.

The only really accurate test (short of G-MS/NMR) for cocaine uses antibodies. Randox and companies like that supply them.

Rolls/MDMA pills are not cut with coke. It's an urban legend that won't die. It would be a massive loss of profit for dealers. Not to mention, oral coke has low BA and very short duration.

Are we sure it's coke? Some other compounds give false-positives if the Scott test is used. Many examples but ketamine, diphenhydramine, lidocaine & even 'bath salts (cathinones) give the same colour sequence. So do some benzos. I won't sit and work out a comprehensive list, but it seems that an ⭕ (oxygen with lone-pairs) with 2 methylene spacers and then an amine :N (nitrogen with lone-pair) is the pattern. It seems that 2 atoms with lone-pairs separated by 2 methylenes is the most basic rule.

The only really accurate test (short of G-MS/NMR) for cocaine uses antibodies. Randox and companies like that supply them.
The results positive for coke came from labs like drugsdata.org so they were definitely sure it's cocaine. As someone else mentioned they were probably just trace amounts from cross contamination

Rolls/MDMA pills are not cut with coke. It's an urban legend that won't die. It would be a massive loss of profit for dealers. Not to mention, oral coke has low BA and very short duration.
Yeah it's not something that I've heard from plugs/friends but just test results online from labs. It was probably not a cut and just contamination from the manufacturing/distribution process

Yeah it's not something that I've heard from plugs/friends but just test results online from labs. It was probably not a cut and just contamination from the manufacturing/distribution process
Much like the scary "they're cutting cocaine with fent now!" It's 99% likely it's just cross contamination in insignificant doses. These things are often processed in the same room. Much like when food says "may have trace amounts of peanuts, wheat, and dairy"

Much like the scary "they're cutting cocaine with fent now!" It's 99% likely it's just cross contamination in insignificant doses. These things are often processed in the same room. Much like when food says "may have trace amounts of peanuts, wheat, and dairy"
True. I don't really do many drugs anymore and the only reason I'd try coke is if I'm at a party, and my only fear is ODing because I know I won't be a long term user. If coke really isn't cut with fent, let's say I have a bag of cocaine but I mix it real well so if there is a bit of fent it'll get spread thin throughout the bag. How safe is coke nowadays? I've always heard about it being really shitty but I never really hear about it killing people too often.

True. I don't really do many drugs anymore and the only reason I'd try coke is if I'm at a party, and my only fear is ODing because I know I won't be a long term user. If coke really isn't cut with fent, let's say I have a bag of cocaine but I mix it real well so if there is a bit of fent it'll get spread thin throughout the bag. How safe is coke nowadays? I've always heard about it being really shitty but I never really hear about it killing people too often.
I heard that fent was mainly an American problem and not been seen in UK.

However, the answer is as it always is..test your product.

I suppose if everyone is using it and you can see it's not killed anyone in the last few hours then it's probably good.