• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

⭐️ Social ⭐️ Will the rise of extreme sports fueled by social media fuel the opioid epidemic

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
I've noticed that my own rare, obscure sports I've pursued that absolutely nobody did like 20 to 30 years ago blew up in popularity with the invention of social media showing sports to millions of ppl that they didn't even know existed. Now the sports are extremely popular.

Just some examples are MMA, skateboarding, rock/alpine climbing, freediving....I'm sure you can think of plenty more.

Many of these are really dangerous and done by a shitload of youngsters now like MMA and skateboarding. It's well known that veterans of such sports live a life of chronic pain full of pills and booze to cope with their permanent injuries.

Do you think ppl wanting to try these extreme sports more due to the Instagram glory culture and getting injured will add significantly to the opioid epidemic?

No because the athletes that you're talking about that stay in it well into adulthood are very few and far between.

Compared to traditional sports, like soccer, the numbers of people participating in the sports you named are vanishingly small. And surprisingly, soccer has an extremely high rate of joint injuries that are significantly long-term debilitating.

You would be shocked at how many catastrophic knee injuries occur in soccer and basketball, and these are sports where many tens of millions of people of all ages participate, just in the US.

Serious athletes in the sports that you discussed may number several hundred thousand combined around the world of all age groups.